Thread: Start engine button coding?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Start engine button coding?

i have 2 friends with a 2018 R, one dsg the other manual. the dsg can start their car with a quick press of the button, however the manual car they need to hold the button down until it starts. can this be configured? my passat starts with a quick press. another person i know has a tiguan auto and they need to hold it down until it starts.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Color me confused. I've never seen or heard of one that needs to be held until it starts. Every VW/Audi I've ever been in that has keyless start just needs a momentary press of the button.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving this from Car Repair Support to Tweaks.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why I stay away from retrofits.........OMG the laziness, so inconvenient to have to hold a starter button & where you actually have control and not let the ECU grenade the teeth of flywheel for you.

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Color me confused. I've never seen or heard of one that needs to be held until it starts. Every VW/Audi I've ever been in that has keyless start just needs a momentary press of the button.
    My B7 RS4 used to start with just a momentary press of the Start button UNLESS the clutch switch was faulty when you had to hold the button until the engine started.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    This is why I stay away from retrofits.........OMG the laziness, so inconvenient to have to hold a starter button & where you actually have control and not let the ECU grenade the teeth of flywheel for you.
    The OP didn't indicate that any of these are retrofits. Of course if they were, that would explain much.

FWIW, we did an Engine Start button retrofit on our 2004 T'reg back in the day. The vehicle came with full Kessy, except for the Start button, which I suppose VW's lawyers had not yet approved for the US market at that time. The only thing needed to make it happen was the button, the wiring to the Kessy, and the trim plate to accommodate the button. It then worked like factory -- a momentary press of the button would start the engine.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    My B7 RS4 used to start with just a momentary press of the Start button UNLESS the clutch switch was faulty when you had to hold the button until the engine started.
    Haha! Maybe this thread does belong in Car Repair after all!

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    not retrofits, all original, vid or it didnt happen

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suffeks View Post
    not retrofits, all original, vid or it didnt happen
    Well.....

I suppose you should start posting some scans so people can try to spot the difference.

-Uwe-

12. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Wifes 2013 Tiguan DSG TDi with keyless - starts with a quick press (Quick press it waits for glow plugs and then starts engine)
    My Mums 2014 VW Beetle DSG TSi with keyless - you have to hold the start button until starts

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add some data points, on both my 2013 GLI and 2014 Tiguan you had to hold the button until the engine started. On my 2017 Golf Alltrack and 2019 Tiguan it only takes a momentary touch.

15. Likes Uwe liked this post