Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEX NET - Output tests conditions not met & other restrictions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Classik View Post
    it's just that having different GUI structure depending on the platform can be disturbing.
    AFAIK the change has been made by VAG in their firmware, so Ross-Tech have had no choice in the change.

I suspect that "mangling" the Advanced Measuring Values to behave like Measuring Blocks (or vice versa) would not be a simple process
    Last edited by PetrolDave; 04-01-2019 at 04:05 AM.

2. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    AFAIK the change has been made by VAG in their firmware, so Ross-Tech have had no choice in the change.
    I suspect that "mangling" the Advanced Measuring Values to behave like Measuring Blocks (or vice versa) would not be a simple process
    I think Classik is not referring to the lack of Measuring Blocks in UDS modules. In such a case, you are correct; the UDS protocol in their firmware plain doesn't support the old-school Measuring Blocks.

Instead, I think Classik is objecting to the fact that VCDS-Mobile doesn't support have a Measuring Blocks function on old-school control modules that do support it.

I'm not sure why this is a really a problem. VCDS-Mobile provides the same data, and labels it with the Block/Group and field numbers:

One of the reasons we didn't include a Measuring Blocks button to VCDS-Mobile is that we couldn't figure out how make all of this work on a phone screen (while keeping it legibly large):

So even if we had a Measuring Blocks function, the screen it took you to would be substantially different than that, and the GUI would not be the same.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 04-01-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes PetrolDave, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the continued interest.

Indeed it's not really the GUI per se I'm referring to, I could live with a different presentation more appropriate to a smartphone (although screen size & resolution are probably much higher now). It's really about the loss of the group IDs as shown in your example above (002, 106, 115) and the abondant litterature/posts/tutorials associated to these groups. If I have an issue with my timing belt/cam chain tensionners, I can find dozen of posts pointing to the groups 090 & 093 which could help identifying the problem. Yes with the appropriate level of expertise I would find my way using the Advanced Measuring values, but not everyone is an expert so following a tutorial step by step can definitely help, and the very large majority of them are done with the 'old' interface.

At the same time I value the new presentation which gives a much clearer description of the measurements: "Coolant temperature" is obviously much nicer than "Measure group 001 / Column 2".

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Classik View Post
    It's really about the loss of the group IDs as shown in your example above (002, 106, 115) and the abondant litterature/posts/tutorials associated to these groups. If I have an issue with my timing belt/cam chain tensionners, I can find dozen of posts pointing to the groups 090 & 093 which could help identifying the problem.
    But the group numbers are there. In the VCDS-Mobile screen-shot above, "loc 1-1" is Group 1, field 1, and "loc 2-4" is Group 2, field 4. So just scroll down to the group you want and select the items in it.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, now that you explained it, it looks simple indeed! But would you agree Loc x-y doesn't spring to mind as a direct translation of Group x / Column y, particularly knowing there is so much redundancy (for good!) in the measuring blocks approach? Like in your example above "Engine load" is given in Group 2 / Column 2 AND in Group 115 / Column 2 (do we have loc 115-2 ?). Or maybe I was not clever enough, I can live with that..

Anyway I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from: of course no information is lost with the new presentation, it's just about understanding people are used to the older way of presenting things, particularly when this is still alive on the PC version (please keep it that way on the PC! ).

But again, if I had to choose between this and an upgraded version of VCDS mobile for offline access to the advanced functions (Output Tests and the likes), my preference would go 100x for the latter.

Best
    Last edited by Classik; 04-01-2019 at 12:13 PM.