Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEX NET - Output tests conditions not met & other restrictions

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX NET - Output tests conditions not met & other restrictions

Hi,

Great interface but a couple of quirks for which I need some guidance. I did make a search but I didn't find the answer, so apologizes if this has been addressed before.

The car: Audi RS6 C5 Avant 2003

The interface: HEX NEXT

Devices: Android phone / laptop PC Windows 10 Home running latest VCDS soft (18.9.1 as we speak)

The symptoms:
    When trying to perform an ouput test, most of the time I get a 'Conditions not met' error message BOTH on the laptop & the phone, and can't go further. However, and this is very strange: I was able to perform these output tests only twice with the laptop (sequential mode only - Never succeeded from the smartphone). My first chance occured 2 days ago when I first tried the device, and the second happened like 30 min ago. Other than that, it has been impossible to perform those tests. Of course the engine is not started and the ignition is turned on. Anything stupid I may have forgotten?

Additional question about the Cloud-only features restrictions:
    It seems like I need an internet connexion everytime I need to access the 'Cloud-only' features like these output tests. Imagine I'm stuck in a place with no wifi / 4G coverage, I suppose I can't access those functions, right? Blunt question: can't we just unlock this restriction?

Many thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Classik View Post
    The symptoms:
    When trying to perform an ouput test, most of the time I get a 'Conditions not met' error message BOTH on the laptop & the phone, and can't go further. However, and this is very strange: I was able to perform these output tests only twice with the laptop (sequential mode only - Never succeeded from the smartphone). My first chance occured 2 days ago when I first tried the device, and the second happened like 30 min ago. Other than that, it has been impossible to perform those tests. Of course the engine is not started and the ignition is turned on. Anything stupid I may have forgotten?
    It very much depends on what output tests you're trying to run. Some of them may be happy with the engine running, some need it off. Some of them will only be willing to run ONCE without actually starting the engine; output tests on the engine are a good example of this. You'll be prevented from running fuel injector open tests repeatedly to avoid flooding.

Bear in mind the 'Conditions not met' response isn't from VCDS, it's from the module you're talking to, something IT is unhappy about.
    Silence gives consent.

3. Likes Eric, Uwe, _Val, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The symptoms:
    Output test on Engine?

On engines of that vintage, it is normal that you only get one stab at it between engine starts. The ECU is programmed that way to avoid washing too much oil from the cylinder walls or even hydro-locking them. This is documented in the product manual:

* Most Control Modules will permit the Output Test Sequence to be run only one time per session. If you run the Test Sequence to completion, VCDS will allow you to return to the previous screen without closing the session, but you may not be able to run the Output Test Sequence again. If you need to run the Sequence again, manually Close the Controller and re-start the session. On some cars, you must cycle the key OFF and ON or even start the engine (to clear the cylinders of fuel).

Additional question about the Cloud-only features restrictions:
    It seems like I need an internet connexion everytime I need to access the 'Cloud-only' features like these output tests. Imagine I'm stuck in a place with no wifi / 4G coverage, I suppose I can't access those functions, right? Blunt question: can't we just unlock this restriction?
    No, we can't just "unlock" it because that functionality isn't in VCDS-Mobile itself, it's on the server.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes Eric, PetrolDave, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for the replies & explanations. Actually I did close and restart the controller & did cycle the key off and on without success, but this engine start requirement is new information to me, thanks for pointing that out. I'll try that and report.

Now for the second question about the Cloud-only functions: well noted they are hosted on a server, but the next naive question is why not making it part of the VCDS-Mobile? If I understand correctly the PC version doesn't need access to the server, so can't it be implemented in a similar way on the mobile version? Of course I have absolutely no idea of the technical implications for this request, it's just that from a user standpoint I know I won't have always access to the net.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now for the second question about the Cloud-only functions: well noted they are hosted on a server, but the next naive question is why not making it part of the VCDS-Mobile? If I understand correctly the PC version doesn't need access to the server, so can't it be implemented in a similar way on the mobile version? Of course I have absolutely no idea of the technical implications for this request, it's just that from a user standpoint I know I won't have always access to the net.
    Correct, the PC version does not need a connection to the server to do that. But a PC is just a bit more powerful than the little microcontroller in the HEX-NET.

We made design decisions based on what functionality we thought was essential for someone to have "on the road" in a remote location, where no internet access is available. Reading and clearing fault codes and looking at measuring values fell into the "essential" category. Output Tests did not, because they are generally something one does in a shop, with other test equipment such as a multimeter available.

I regularly do 1000 mile (each way) road trips. I would not do it without VCDS in (in some form) along, but I do not feel I am missing anything essential if I only have my phone and a HEX-NET.

However, if you're really worried that you might need Output Tests when you're away from home, I would suggest taking a cheap Windows tablet along as well; something with an 8" - 10" screen and the full PC version of VCDS loaded on it.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

8. Likes Dana, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to explain your approach on the matter, truly appreciated. I'm sure 99% of the time your assumptions are absolutely correct, but I suppose I represent this very odd & marginal community willing to perform some output tests in the middle of nowhere

As a workaround I could indeed try to get a small pc tablet, but if at some point you were willing to extend the mobile version features set, be sure you'll have at least one happy customer using the new function.

Best

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    However, if you're really worried that you might need Output Tests when you're away from home, I would suggest taking a cheap Windows tablet along as well; something with an 8" - 10" screen and the full PC version of VCDS loaded on it.
    +1

If I'm going more than say 50 miles from home I always take my HEX-NET and W10 tablet with VCDS installed with me

11. Likes Eric, Uwe, Santos liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Correct, the PC version does not need a connection to the server to do that. But a PC is just a bit more powerful than the little microcontroller in the HEX-NET.

We made design decisions based on what functionality we thought was essential for someone to have "on the road" in a remote location, where no internet access is available. Reading and clearing fault codes and looking at measuring values fell into the "essential" category. Output Tests did not, because they are generally something one does in a shop, with other test equipment such as a multimeter available.

I regularly do 1000 mile (each way) road trips. I would not do it without VCDS in (in some form) along, but I do not feel I am missing anything essential if I only have my phone and a HEX-NET.

-Uwe-

Good day Uwe & All,

So I'm still fighting with a fan controller, so some more output tests sessions are in order. Call it bad luck, but yesterday I had some hard time connecting to the cloud in tethered mode from my smartphone despite a good 4G coverage (got a time out message), so I had to fetch my laptop to do the job... Also I can't refrain to mention I regret not having the same GUI on my mobile as it is on my PC. Maybe I'm missed something but I couldn't find the Measuring Blocks window which I like on the PC version. I know I could sort of get the same info under the advanced measuring values, but hey, why not having the same service?

Well, I know I'm pushing my point, but just wanted to give an honest feedback that could enhance the (or at least my) experience with the product.

Best

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I'm still fighting with a fan controller, so some more output tests sessions are in order. Call it bad luck, but yesterday I had some hard time connecting to the cloud in tethered mode from my smartphone despite a good 4G coverage (got a time out message)
    Yes, there was a problem with the Cloud server yesterday.

Also I can't refrain to mention I regret not having the same GUI on my mobile as it is on my PC. Maybe I'm missed something but I couldn't find the Measuring Blocks window which I like on the PC version. I know I could sort of get the same info under the advanced measuring values, but hey, why not having the same service?
    We made the GUI as similar as we thought was reasonably practical. However, by the time we started working on VCDS-Mobile, it was obvious that the "Measuring Blocks" was already a deprecated function that would never again be available any newly designed control module, so we decided not included it. As you've noted, you can get the exact same data in Advanced Measuring Values.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again for taking the time to share your ideas and plans on the subject.

Although I understand your arguments regarding the Measuring Blocks, most references and suggestions on forums regarding logs & measurements are related to specific groups, like for instance timing aspects can be found on Groups 90 & 93...

I'm sure you understand I'm not trying at all to bash the product -I'm very happy with my purchase- it's just that having different GUI structure depending on the platform can be disturbing. Would that be a difficult task to keep the 'old' functions still available for the above reasons? Also it would be unfair from me to jump on the first opportunity (the cloud issue) to demonstrate the interest of having all functions available by default on the mobile version, but you would agree it would put less constraints if we could be independant from an external server/network.

Thanks for listening and best regards
    Last edited by Classik; 04-01-2019 at 04:58 AM.