Audi A4 DPF issue

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
My VCDS didn't previously have that information saved (WSC est), but I've now added it, saved, restarted and tried again on the car. No change to behaviour.

I had a look for that sensor but it's getting dark and I couldn't find it in the engine bay, so I'll have to have a look tomorrow. It is giving constant readings, I didn't notice any dips or blanks in the output and the data corresponds to what is occurring in the engine.

This is engine rpm red, throttle position (%) green, diff pressure yellow.

R5znpRB.png

I also tried G450 adaptation to see if it would allow input, and it behaved in the same way. I could type in "0001" as instructed, and I could press test. However the Test value remains as 0, and the Save button remains greyed out to it wouldn't be possible to adapt the sensor if I replaced it.

DC6DFzt.png

I tried scanning through the channels available. I came across the injector codings around the mid 70s, the immobiliser somewhere around 40 I think, but that was about it. Somewherein the mid 100s it started saying "Security Access Required" instead of "Channel not available", and then I gave up and stopped clicking through them.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
OP did you try a reboot with Capacitor discharge with bridge of battery terminals unhooked with key in ON position & after clearing codes and re-coding multiple times fast at least 5 attempts?

Also try a bench or in car force terminal 15 reset of ECU using WD........

Clear adaptions manually too.

0x01-10-000 Save

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
OP did you try a reboot with Capacitor discharge with bridge of battery terminals unhooked with key in ON position & after clearing codes and re-coding multiple times fast at least 5 attempts?

Also try a bench or in car force terminal 15 reset of ECU using WD........

Clear adaptions manually too.

0x01-10-000 Save

I'm sorry you've slightly lost me now. If anyone can point me in the right direction of what to read up on I'll happily do it.

The first section, you mean turn the key to ignition on, then disconnect the battery terminals and touch them together for 15 seconds to discharge all capacitors in the car and hence force everything to reboot? If so I'm not sure what "clearing codes and re-coding multiple times fast at least 5 attempts?" means I should then do.

The rest of the post is also lost on me. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on these things, I'm just starting to learn about these systems and cars. I'm happy to make uses of any resources I can be pointed towards!

I did manage to limp the car from where it was to my house earlier, much to the annoyance of everyone who was stuck behind me. Thankfully it was mostly down hill. I got a very strange look when I drove past a policeman with a speed gun at 8mph (in a 30mph zone) with a string of 15 cars behind me. If it's possible to drive sarcastically, then I'm sure they thought I was doing it! At least the car is a lot easier to access now.

The nearest Audi dealership is an hours drive away (at normal speed, so it would mean a recovery) and has a reputation for being a huge pain in the ass and generally uncooperative, so if it's at all possible to sort things without going down that route that would be ideal. I guess it all comes down to the computer in the end though, either it will eventually bend to the will or your cable or it won't. :thumbs:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The first section, you mean turn the key to ignition on, then disconnect the battery terminals and touch them together for 15 seconds to discharge all capacitors in the car and hence force everything to reboot? If so I'm not sure what "clearing codes and re-coding multiple times fast at least 5 attempts?" means I should then do.
I would start with ignition off, disconnect both battery cables, turn the ignition on, short the cables together (away from the battery!) for a bit, turn the key off again, and lastly, reconnect the cables to the battery.

In the last section, Jack means:
[Select]
[01-Engine]
[Adaptations]
Channel 0, [Read] and [Save]. (The only value that can be saved there is 0)

I don't have much hope for either of these, but doesn't cost much to try.

-Uwe-

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
Thanks for the explanation, I'll give it a shot in the morning

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This could be entirely off-track but I happened to notice a 2.5TDI Crafter DPF reset that required: "NOTE: During adjustment, the engine must be running and the engine speed MUST be at least 1300 rpm! " yesterday.

That EDC type required Security Access 12233 = Adaptation Enabling followed by saving 1 to Adp Channel 016 so it isn't identical but .. 1,300 RPM is excessive in my opinion. So, the results may be identical but I'd try key on/engine off, at idle and then again at a no-load elevated RPM just to make sure that isn't one of the CR TDI SW bugs VW/Audi squashed over the years via software updates.

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the capacitor drain, no change to behaviour. I also tried the procedure you gave Dana. The security access won't accept that code. It just gives an error message:

GFGXDLr.png

That's the first code I've tried entering in more than an hour of ignition on time, so I'm not sure what the First attempt, Second attempt refers to.

No change when trying to enter the adaptation at higher rpm.

I saved 0 over Channel 00, which it did accept.

I can now test and save 0 over Channel 81, but not 1 or 0001. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think I could previously save that value. Still no luck with 1.

Just to double check that there is nothing that I'm missing:

1. Ignition on
2. Connect to engine 01
3. Long adaptation channel 81
4. Test then save 0001 or 1

I'm definitely not missing any security or validation steps?

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
I also tried entering 10016 into the Coding 11 section for a DPF service regen. I thought it would cancel due to the actual soot being so high, but instead I got this message:

mTPAWrJ.png

It does say it could be caused by conditions not being correct, is it worth trying to get the engine to temperature and then trying again? Will it just instantly shut it down due to the soot levels? The vehicle is on street parking in a line of other cars, so I want to avoid burning the place down if that's even a remote possibility!

Are there any other security access keys that should work with this to perform another function, that I could try entering to see if it will accept them and perform the expected function? Any chance the label file is not correct for the ECU?

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
A slightly different approach, but what would happen if I replaced the ECU with a 2nd hand one such as this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142460216635

Changes are £250 is a fair bit cheaper than getting the car recovered to Audi and an ECU reflash. The seller says they can offer reprogramming, so potentially they could supply it with IMR disabled, EGR disabled, and if it comes to it DPF disabled? Install, drive the car up the mountain to where I can work on it properly (which it should be able to do if it's out of limp mode), then drop the DPF and drill several large holes through it.

Is that remotely viable, or am I grasping at straws?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
I've not been able to find the location of the sensor in the engine bay to confirm part numbers. I can't see the sensor body anywhere obvious, unless it's below some other components? I also can't see any obvious sign of pipes coming back from the DPF.

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
You need to have Audi update engine software, you have version 0010 and need 0050 or newer to use channel 81.

aurumdeus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363724
You need to have Audi update engine software, you have version 0010 and need 0050 or newer to use channel 81.

Thank you. I've been calling around local dealerships to find when someone can book it in. At present the soonest date I've been given is a month, but with luck I'll find something sooner.

Back