Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi A5 3.0 TDi Limp mode after acceleration in Sport Mode

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    5580 - Oil Pressure fault was what caused my CCWA 3.0 TDI to go into limp mode just over 2500 rpm. If you search in this forum for "5580 - Oil Pressure" there are only a few results one of which is mine.

Hopefully this link works:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...6-3-0-TDi-Audi

The challenge you will face to verify if this fault is also one of your problems is that oil pressure is not constant, which sounds obvious to say, but what I mean is that the engine control system dynamically increases the oil pressure at 2500 rpm and verifys that the increase has taken place by sensors. If the sensors do not see the increase in oil pressure expected, the car goes into limp mode. An open loop controlled solenoid valve on the front of the engine is what physically enables the oil pressure to increase but in my case/opinion this valve got 'sticky' due to age/wear. I also suspected the oil pressure sensors, but I got lucky by choosing to replace the valve first.

Good luck.
    Last edited by andythechief; 03-31-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: added thread link

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had a look at the fuel metering valve and that was clear of any debris. I’ve yet to change the fuel filter and I’m going to change the oil and filter as well.
    I took the car out for a drive after checking the metering valve and keeping it in D, I didn’t get the flashing coil and limp mode after hard acceleration. I haven’t tried it again in Sport mode yet.

Top tip on the oil solenoid valve andythechief, I’ll keep that in mind for any further diagnosis.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jasegarn - random thought along the solenoid valve lines again - I recall engine oil temperature on mine was important for the dynamic oil pressure system to activate/operate. Cold oil obviously runs at a higher pressure anyway so this would mask the problem if the cold pressure exceeded the higher pressure expected by the sensors over 2500 rpm. You can use measuring blocks to see the oil pressure readings, I'd have to check my post to see which ones but I think I just searched for 'oil' ( very handy feature thanks VCDS!) in advanced measuring blocks and that took me to all the possible oil pressure sensor values, and from the labels and some system architecture knowledge it was possible to discern which ones were relevant. If you also watch/log engine oil temperature, you get to know what temperature threshold is important and can make sure you exceed it before your driving test. Please don't think I'm trying to push my theory, I just wanted to tell you what I remembered when I wondered how hot the engine oil was when you tested the car.

4. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed Andy......
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jasegarn- any update?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. No not yet. Iíve just come back off holiday so am going to start looking at this again.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andythechief View Post
    Jasegarn - random thought along the solenoid valve lines again - I recall engine oil temperature on mine was important for the dynamic oil pressure system to activate/operate. Cold oil obviously runs at a higher pressure anyway so this would mask the problem if the cold pressure exceeded the higher pressure expected by the sensors over 2500 rpm. You can use measuring blocks to see the oil pressure readings, I'd have to check my post to see which ones but I think I just searched for 'oil' ( very handy feature thanks VCDS!) in advanced measuring blocks and that took me to all the possible oil pressure sensor values, and from the labels and some system architecture knowledge it was possible to discern which ones were relevant. If you also watch/log engine oil temperature, you get to know what temperature threshold is important and can make sure you exceed it before your driving test. Please don't think I'm trying to push my theory, I just wanted to tell you what I remembered when I wondered how hot the engine oil was when you tested the car.
    I may be being a biff here but, my car doesn't want to rev above 2500 when stood still. The engine is warmed up as I had just been for a drive before trying to rev the engine. I didn't have VCDS plugged in a the time but, I'm wondering if this is normal. I didn't get any warning lights or other indication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasegarn View Post
    I may be being a biff here but, my car doesn't want to rev above 2500 when stood still.
    That's completely normal, nothing to worry about.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, I finally got around to changing my oil, oil filter and fuel filter. After a weeks driving to work and back, trying all the conditions that threw the fault up in the first place, I haven’t had the car go in to limp mode again. It has only been a week but, time will tell I suppose.
    While I was doing the mini service I did the oil regulator valve test in VCDS and I could hear the solenoid clicking. Don’t know if this means that the valve is fully functioning but at least that bit works.

Thanks for the replies and help. If it happens again, I’ll be revisiting this thread!

12. Likes Uwe liked this post