2002 Audi A4 3.0L Runs And Shuts-Off Imediately. Need Advice On What To Check.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Hi Jack,

When I was attempting to do the cluster swap I couldn't get past the part of it adapting/accepting the new clusters SKC to the old SKC pin. (and I still cant)

Reading a post on Audizine a member had stated that he had to set the replacement cluster to (New-Virgin Mode) and that the mileage needed to be zeroed out for the VCDS software to recognize the cluster as being new.

It also didn't work.

I still cant get the Vin# to populate no matter what I attempt. When I read Adaptation - 10 and read channel 050 in the Immobilizer - Vehicle Data Learning box and clear out the new value field and test I don't get the vin# information in field 1 or 2.

When I hit save I get a system error populated in field 1.

The word ERROR populates the first field box and the next 3 read Channel 50 - Not - Available

Is it possible this is because the coding is different between the two clusters.

And to change the coding all I need to do is plug in this coding value----> 00201 in where this coding value is----> 03200

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
You can try set the coding of replacement cluster 1:1 as Your original have and then try replacement procedure via channel 050. Worth a try.
I haven't experienced any problems with replacing immo 3 clusters, but in Your case I suspect:
- coding (I'm not sure, as for this exact cluster engine type is not defined in coding...)
- defective replacement cluster
- EEPROM of replacement cluster messed up by tool witch was used to get PIN and change mileage.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
You can try set the coding of replacement cluster 1:1 as Your original have and then try replacement procedure via channel 050. Worth a try.
I haven't experienced any problems with replacing immo 3 clusters, but in Your case I suspect:
- coding (I'm not sure, as for this exact cluster engine type is not defined in coding...)
- defective replacement cluster
- EEPROM of replacement cluster messed up by tool witch was used to get PIN and change mileage.

Hi MartinsX,

I used Vag EEPrommer v1.9 and didn't write anything to clusters Bin file. I only read the Bin file decrypted to get the SKC. Also I tried to adapt the cluster using VCDS before I did a reset of mileage. I never attempted to write to the cluster, ever, using the Vag EEProgrammer.

So to code the new cluster to the old cluster codes. It as simple as replacing that one field in coding that has 03200 with 00201 in VCDS lite?

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Yes, just replace figures in coding string and hit SAVE.

I don't mean that You did some EEPROM changes, but Your tool could do this without notifying You. I had to repair some bricked clusters after someone tried to read/write EEPROM, change mileage, get PIN, program keys etc.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Yes, just replace figures in coding string and hit SAVE.

I don't mean that You did some EEPROM changes, but Your tool could do this without notifying You. I had to repair some bricked clusters after someone tried to read/write EEPROM, change mileage, get PIN, program keys etc.

Okay MartinsX,

I will try that.

If that doesn't work would it be advisable to take a copy from my original clusters Bin file and write that to the replacement cluster using Vag EEPROGRAMMER?

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Okay MartinsX,

I will try that.

If that doesn't work would it be advisable to take a copy from my original clusters Bin file and write that to the replacement cluster using Vag EEPROGRAMMER?

NO!!!
You have different partnumber clusters. Even the same partnumber clusters may have different HW/SW versions and different EEPROM chips in some cases.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
NO!!!
You have different partnumber clusters. Even the same partnumber clusters may have different HW/SW versions and different EEPROM chips in some cases.

Roger that.

Thought I would check before even attempting anything that modifies the cluster.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hi MartinsX,

I used Vag EEPrommer v1.9 and didn't write anything to clusters Bin file. I only read the Bin file decrypted to get the SKC. Also I tried to adapt the cluster using VCDS before I did a reset of mileage. I never attempted to write to the cluster, ever, using the Vag EEProgrammer.

So to code the new cluster to the old cluster codes. It as simple as replacing that one field in coding that has 03200 with 00201 in VCDS lite?

Okay MartinsX,

I will try that.

Your future real soon if thinking that!

maxresdefault.jpg

Indeed!

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Well re-coding the replacement cluster only produced the same results. When I read channel 050 in the adaption portion for instrument cluster controller the first field reads KEY. In the Vehicle Data Learning box I can clear out the new value field 32000 put in the original SKC and test I don't get the vin# information in field 1 or 2.

f I hit save, the word ERROR populates the first field box and the next 3 fields read Channel 50 - Not - Available

Is it possible that another channel might be specifically used for the 2002 years in order to adapt the original SKC to the replacement cluster?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
No valid key or with cluster in service mode = no 050 swap!

The tool you used has locked you out!

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Hi Jack,

The replacement cluster shows that they're 3 keys listed as previously attached to this cluster.

Do you think that I should try to do a key adaption with my original key first by wiping it clean and then register my original key before I try to do the cluster swap using VCDS?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hi Jack,

The replacement cluster shows that they're 3 keys listed as previously attached to this cluster.

Do you think that I should try to do a key adaption with my original key first by wiping it clean and then register my original key before I try to do the cluster swap using VCDS?

Your key is with a locked bit, just read it in VCDS ADV blocks in either cluster to see.

Keys which are locked can not be remarried to another cluster, unless unlocked and VCDS can't unlock key transponders.

You could, however,erase those 3 keys & marry a virgin key in custody and then since the cluster and key are paired, it may allow for a 050, but since the cluster is tampered FOD and security flags are most likely raised you still might not and even if you dont have a DEF or error to be with security lock down in addition to time clocks.

Why not just get the cluster defaulted & stop fiddle fucking with stuff?

Do you doubt me?

Z

latest

Z

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
I sent you a PM Jack.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Your situation compels my conscience.
Send cluster with credentials to be defaulted and pay freight plus donation you feel is fair on honor system.
There will be no mercy for failure to comport with verification of purchase and ID.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Your situation compels my conscience.
Send cluster with credentials to be defaulted and pay freight plus donation you feel is fair on honor system.
There will be no mercy for failure to comport with verification of purchase and ID.

Hi Jack,

I appreciate your willingness to help; and with that said I just haven't mentioned anything to my wife right at the moment.

She's been dealing with a two day old severely sprained ankle. Our Monday night bowling league outing turned out to be a major fiasco after she twisted it and couldn't put any kind of pressure on her foot.

She's not a happy camper at the moment.

Now with that said I did take the time to pull the back covers off of both of the instrument clusters and take a peek inside and I noticed that there's two different kinds of chip-sets (microprocessors) between the clusters.

My original cluster has a big single clearly marked Bosh microprocessor on the printed circuit board, while the replacement one has a couple of microprocessors spread out and stamped NEC.

The other thing that I didn't realized (because I'm new to the car) is that my original cluster has a all red center LCD message center while the replacement has center LCD message center that is in color.

I take it that I royally screwed by getting the wrong replacement cluster.

So I don't know if you can do anything for me as far as making it work in my car now.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It can be made to work as many upgrade to color cluster, just have to know what your doing.
Send me the color clusters with credentials and in meantime I will see what I can do.
Most likely will need new transponders but if so you can take keys apart and add them manually.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
It can be made to work as many upgrade to color cluster, just have to know what your doing.
Send me the color clusters with credentials and in meantime I will see what I can do.
Most likely will need new transponders but if so you can take keys apart and add them manually.

When you say credentials do you mean a copy of the registration and insurance card?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Copies of drivers license, registration or title correlated and copy of receipt where replacement cluster was purchased.
GeKo form completed we send you after you go to contact form on website & original document signed and sent with copies of paperwork aforementioned cluster submitted.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
I have everything listed above, but the receipt for the cluster. I just looked for it and I can't find it. I'm pretty sure I just tossed it out because it was a non-returnable electrical item after fourteen days. I got the cluster from a salvage yard.

Back