2002 Audi A4 3.0L Runs And Shuts-Off Imediately. Need Advice On What To Check.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
The gauges are for sure, the color display not sure but most likely just might?

Well, I don't think I'm going to try and open that can of worms.

I will be more than happy just to have a cluster that doesn't display like a Christmas tree and gives me real information in the temp and oil pressure area.

vwtech

Verified Coal Cracker
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=7573
I told you jack is the man!
You are lucky your wife gave you some of the German chocolate!
My wife eat's them all! I don't get $hit.
And after all her worrying she got German chocolate.

Good Luck

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Immo Agrument

Now with that said, from in the quote above Jack, am I to understand that my original color center display is capable/compatible of being swapped out rather easily with the non-color display.

Kind Regards,

Robert
If you thinking just swap LCD , then it is not possible , they are completely 2 different things. You have to get Color cluster.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
I told you jack is the man!
You are lucky your wife gave you some of the German chocolate!
My wife eat's them all! I don't get $hit.
And after all her worrying she got German chocolate.

Good Luck

"I told you jack is the man!" All I can say VwTech is I have no argument there.

Now I've been married to my wonderful wife for 21 plus years. You learn what the boundaries are when it comes to excellent high-end chocolate and getting half a chocolate bar from her was not an easy task....:p

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
If you thinking just swap LCD , then it is not possible , they are completely 2 different things. You have to get Color cluster.

It was a thought, but as I stated earlier to Jack, it's not a road I 'm going to travel down.

I just want an instrument cluster that works for now so I can keep the car and focus on the other areas of the car that may need some attention. Previous owner was advised that a coolant and brake fluid flush was being recommended from his Audi service center since it's been more than 5 years since those were last changed.

Also I'm going to heed Jack's pictogram above and not deviate from his steps above when I swap the cluster out using VCDS.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Just remember that the public code is REQUIRED first & your code is to be used if good from your car in 050.

I believe that code is good since you were successful remarrying existing keys.

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Just remember that the public code is REQUIRED first & your code is to be used if good from your car in 050.

I believe that code is good since you were successful remarrying existing keys.

Well understood!

Benjisan265

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=364854
Hey Jack,

You're unbelievable helpful, kind and a God send.

The replacement cluster is in, SKC went perfectly, keys are adapted, coolant gauge is working, low oil pressure light is off and the fuel gauge appears to be working okay, but I won't know for sure until I drive the Audi back and forth to my Job next week for sure. Haven't done the mileage adaption as of yet because of time constraints.

Haven't tested the navigation, but who cares. Only had to recode the Bose radio, which is simple.

As money permits I will start moving on to the other issues the car has and look forward to interacting with you great guys here on the forum in resolving them as needed.

Kind Regards,

Robert

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
Quick query

Marry or install correct Key or cluster or both...........
Which "correct" key was he supposed to use? Is it the one for the ECU, or the transponder that would have come with the donor cluster from the salvage yard?

I'm asking this question in the case of Immobilizer 4 (although this is a thread about Immobilizer 3).
I've read thorugh: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_IV_Immobilizer_Swapping_(Instrument_Cluster)

&

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_IV_Key_Matching however it doesn't say which one of the keys to use at any given time other than a line saying "All keys are either brand new or were adapted to this car (IMMO-ID) before."

Since I'm doing a retrofit of a (non-virgin) 2012 MK6 Golf cluster to my 2008 MK5 Golf, I'd be better off doing this with a new transponder as opposed to trying the donor key?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
New.......

Not VCDS related but if playing UDS better have an old Key married to cluster to get the seed.

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
Thanks for the quick response. I'll fire up the blank transponder now.
...and hopefully reply with good news.

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
I apologize,

I forgot to state that this is a retrofit of a MK6 cluster in a MK5 car. I'll post photos and part numbers shortly.

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
better have an old Key married to cluster to get the seed.
This is an issue for me as my stock ECU only seems to get/release the seed with the original MK5 key (after waiting the 10 minutes), but not a blank key, or the key married to the cluster. I'm aware I have to wait 10+ minutes between each attempt.

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
Take to appropriate retrofit area.... :rolleyes:
There is no need. Jetta,97 resolved my retrofit concerns through e-mail correspondence.
The cluster is installed, and the immobilizer work was done to add a virgin key.

I must take the opportunity to publicly thank Jetta ,97 for being so patient in guiding me through the EEPROM process, as I didn't want to ruin another ID48 transponder again. I definitely owe him a beer or something for his persistence in responding to all my e-mails over the past 24 hours.

Back