Thread: Limited numbers of VINs?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Limited numbers of VINs?

I have one of the older HEX-CAN cables. I used it with a 2011 A4, a 2012 A5 and a 2016 TTS. Today I picked up a 2018 S5. I just revisited these forums to read back up on VAG-COM coding, as I want to make a few mods. But low and behold...I never realized there was a VIN number limitation! Is that linked to the VCDS license, or is that stored in the HEX-CAN cable itself? And if the latter...does that mean the cable is now useless, or is there an option to allow for additional VIN numbers? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch View Post
    I have one of the older HEX-CAN cables. I used it with a 2011 A4, a 2012 A5 and a 2016 TTS. Today I picked up a 2018 S5. I just revisited these forums to read back up on VAG-COM coding, as I want to make a few mods. But low and behold...I never realized there was a VIN number limitation! Is that linked to the VCDS license, or is that stored in the HEX-CAN cable itself? And if the latter...does that mean the cable is now useless, or is there an option to allow for additional VIN numbers? Thanks!
    All of the older interfaces, such as your HEX-CAN (be that a HEX-USB+CAN or HEX-COM+CAN) support unlimited VINs.

Modern interfaces can be had either limited or unlimited depending on what you need. If applicable, the VINs are stored in the interface.

There might be elements within a 2018 S5 that can't be accessed by your HUC interface, but that's hard to say without seeing an Auto-Scan.
    Silence gives consent.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post