What manner of beast is the 2003 Bentley Arnage T anyway?! Help!

Paul H

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363807
Hi all, first time poster here.

First, let me say how impressed I am with the VCDS/HEX-V2 tool. It is a phenomenal piece of kit for the money and a very well designed product indeed!

Anyway, I inherited a 2003 Bentley Arnage T. It has airbag and throttle control fault codes but I have coaxed the beast into actually running pretty well after replacing a lot of broken stuff. I want to keep it on the road for sentimental reasons but would like to diagnose the airbag code in particular. It appeared after I changed the batteries and so I think it is a nuisance code from reading the RollsRoyce and PistonHead forums.

No ODB2 scanner or tool that I have tried is able to access anything other than 01 Engine Control Module 1 or 03 Brakes 1. I have tried all the Bentley models in the current VCDS tool. The fact that it communicates with the car but can't get access to the gateway/other modules leads me to suspect that I am missing something.

Is this model locked out to anyone but Bentley dealers?

Or is there some secret handshake that I need to pass to the car before I can clear DTS faults?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Paul

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would suppose that most of the systems in a 2003 Arnage pre-date VW's ownership of Bentley. The car was introduced in 1998, the year that VW and BMW were fighting over who got what of Bentley and Rolls, so the design was complete by then.

There's some possibility that the airbag module is BMW, because they did supply some components to Bentley between 1998 and 2003, or it could be something else, but if so, I really don't know what the Crewe at Vickers used.

It's possible Peter may know; he's the most familiar with Bentley.

-Uwe-

Paul H

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=363807
Thank you Uwe.

If it helps the airbag module is a Siemens 5WK4 2958. The Bentley part number is PW 101880PD or PW101951PE depending on which of the many OEM stickers you read!

Best regards

Paul

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

It's possible Peter may know; he's the most familiar with Bentley.

The Volkswagen group did not have any controllers on the Bentley Arnage until 2007 and even then communications was limited to the following controllers: [02], [65], [15], [56], [77] and the [19].

Maybe, maybe you can use the [OBD-II] function with VCDS.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
In a forum called Diagnostic Network, this discussion came up recently. In the specifics, we were dealing with a 2005 Arnage. One forum user posted the following:

You need a Mastercheck, go to Flying Spares in the UK, they have them is stock. George Jenkins,Shadetree Automotive

Don't know anything about the Mastercheck tool. Ever heard of it Peter?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Maybe, maybe you can use the [OBD-II] function with VCDS.
I don't think that's going to get him anywhere with his airbag. :(

-Uwe-

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi,

Don't know anything about the Mastercheck tool. Ever heard of it Peter?

- I have not heard of this... a quick internet search shows some audio mixing software????

The Official Factory Repair manual states that you need the "Genrad Diagnostic System" PM 30974PA for these vehicles... Kind of looks like the old Land Rover Test book.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Back