Unknown ERROR code on G7R DQ500 gearbox :)

320i24vv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304666
Hello guys,

I own a 2015 VW Golf 7R DQ250 that has been recently converted to a DQ500 RS3 facelift gearbox.
I noticed the following error message on the gearbox a few days ago, and wanted to ask if somebody can help me shed some light into this topic?

Also, I would like to note that I noticed oil coming out of the gearbox air breather, due to excessive launches and hard driving I believe.
Is this common on DQ500?
I confirm that the gearbox is running stage 3+ or stage4 software and it is quite aggresive with high clutch pressure that should hold up to 800 NM of torque without issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans (J743) Labels:. 0BH-927-711.clb
Part No SW: 0DL 300 043 T HW: 0GC 927 711 G
Component: DQ500 H06 9999
Revision: 00H06V07
Coding: 0014
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDQ500021 001001
ROD: EV_TCMDQ500021.rod
VCID: 3E263775A0FFCE77AC1-806A

1 Fault Found:
10908 - ROD - Unknown Error Code
- 00 [040]
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 25922 km
Date: 2019.03.07
Time: 13:01:01

Engine speed: 1113.00 /min
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 88 °C
Clutch: primary stat: Neutral
selected gear: GANG_R
Driving position: P
Engine torque: -16 Nm
Control Module temperature: 72 °C
Accelerator position: 14.8 %
DTC memory status: 50

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, a pic of the gearbox breather covered in oil.
20190309-152507.jpg

https://ibb.co/5xr8M34

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I confirm that the gearbox is running stage 3+ or stage4 software
Well, the fault 10908 doesn't belong with the ASAM ID that your transmission is reporting.
But it does exist in some other transmissions, where it would consistently mean:

Pressure Control Solenoid 4: Electrical Malfunction

So I suspect that you have some 'Frankenstein' Software in the transmission. ;)

-Uwe-

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

Also, I would like to note that I noticed oil coming out of the gearbox air breather, due to excessive launches and hard driving I believe.
Is this common on DQ500?

This does not appear to be normal, however, the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

I would make sure the transmission's fluid level is correct and try to verify the correct type of transmission fluid was used if it was replaced.

Official Factory Repair Information

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Heat & stupidity are the enemy .......... :p

In this STAGE "whatever" for FOD and should be "STAGE NONE" without a external oil cooler and sump extension capacity, now shouldn't it?

That oil vacating the breather aforementioned is from ATF oil vaporizing and condensate forming while it vacates the transmission & vents as a GAS!

eTu9lha.png

omfg-trump-which-way-did-he-go-george.gif

320i24vv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304666
Thank you all so much for your help!

@Uwe, thank you for your reply!
Yes, there is "Frankenstein" software in the gearbox, since the RS3 gearbox DQ500 did not ever exist on the Golf 7R therefore it needs special software development.
Also, I ran the DQ500 RS3 gearbox with the stock Audi software and had a lot of software gremlins, 98% of which have been addressed with this software.

@DrPeter, thank you!
I will make sure to check the oil level in the gearbox asap and correct it, and also check how much has vented out.
The oil that I used is the genuine oil product code G052182A2. I bought 8 litres, but the transmission only needed 6 litres, if I remember correctly.
Please correct me if I am wrong and have used wrong oil, but I hope I did not.

@Jack@EuropeanParts, thank you so much!
Your advice is really amazing! Thank you!
So you recommend an oil cooler to be installed for the gearbox? And an extended oil sump?
Why is that? Because oil is getting out through the air breather? You are saying that it is vented as a gas, because of extreme temperatures and then condensates back into liquid? If I understood correctly?

If not, kindly ask you to please correct me.
If yes, can you also please indicate a link to an external oil cooler that you recommend?

I am thinking of replacing the oil breather with this one now, and see whether this fixes the problem or not: product code: 0B5301675A

Thank you gentlemen!
Really looking forward to your replies! :)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
@Jack@EuropeanParts, thank you so much!
Your advice is really amazing! Thank you!
So you recommend an oil cooler to be installed for the gearbox? And an extended oil sump?
Why is that? Because oil is getting out through the air breather? You are saying that it is vented as a gas, because of extreme temperatures and then condensates back into liquid? If I understood correctly?

If not, kindly ask you to please correct me.
If yes, can you also please indicate a link to an external oil cooler that you recommend?

I am thinking of replacing the oil breather with this one now, and see whether this fixes the problem or not: product code: 0B5301675A

Thank you gentlemen!
Really looking forward to your replies! :)

When it comes to ANY transmission or hydro static system such as DSG internals or manual electronic clutch actuators where fluid mechanic's are used, viscosity, cooling + volume are what matter!
Fabricate coolers and sumps with external pump to it as needed for racing and yes oil is being super heated or is over filled.

The old Audi V8 Engine oil coolers or BMW M3 worked well and could be bought on cheap at one point.

Something like this and then add a tank and pump to keep circulation ahead of heat.

I have found that in many cases when racing, that engine oils seem to work superior in transmissions over the special hydraulic fluids for longevity!

Example not endorsed

Last edited:

320i24vv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304666
UPDATE to this thread: so after a mechanic check-up, we noticed the following:
- rear differential is dead: the oil of the Haldex clutches is full of iron particles and has a grayish color.
- the gearbox is still spitting oil from the oil breather as indicated in the above pictures.
It appears that a new rear differential is needed asap.
I have the option to remove the connector from the Haldex unit and drive the car FWD only, but I believe I will not.

Can anybody shed some light as I do not understand why is the gearbox spitting oil?
It is not due to excessive temperatures, as VCDS shown around 74 degrees for the gearbox oil temperature on normal drive.
And it is spitting oil.....

320i24vv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304666
Well, the fault 10908 doesn't belong with the ASAM ID that your transmission is reporting.
But it does exist in some other transmissions, where it would consistently mean:

Pressure Control Solenoid 4: Electrical Malfunction

So I suspect that you have some 'Frankenstein' Software in the transmission. ;)

-Uwe-

@Uwe, thank you again for your reply!
I noticed today the same error message on the gearbox:

1 Fault Found:
10908 - ROD - Unknown Error Code
- 00 [040]
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 26312 km
Date: 2019.03.16
Time: 22:17:34

Engine speed: 981.00 /min
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 89 °C
Clutch: primary stat: Neutral
selected gear: GANG_R
Driving position: P
Engine torque: -4 Nm
Control Module temperature: 60 °C
Accelerator position: 14.8 %
DTC memory status: 50

Do you believe it has something to do with the fact that the rear differential is damaged and the Haldex clutch oil is full of iron particles?
Because I drove the car very gently, while I am waiting for a new differential to arrive and replace it.
And yes, I have a Frankenstein software on the car, since I am running DQ500 G7R, but I notice that this error message appears while selecting Reverse...... R_GANG?

What are your expert recommendations please?
What should I investigate? Look into?

Thank you!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
If a mechanical or broken case exists is also a reason for an oil leak in a vent, in addition to all aforementioned.

320i24vv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304666
If a mechanical or broken case exists is also a reason for an oil leak in a vent, in addition to all aforementioned.

Hello Jack! Thank you!
Yes, there is a mechanical fault. Broken rear differential. Let me rephrase that: broken Haldex clutches in the rear differential. They still work, but my guess is that the clutches are engaging metal on metal.
Reason why I am replacing the entire rear differential with a second hand as new one.
But I cannot understand what is the problem with the error code on the gearbox.
This is what bothers me the most now.

Are you saying the error code on the gearbox, while it tries to engage GANG_R has something to do with my rear differential?
One more thing to note: car works perfectly! Gearbox works flawlessly.

Aitrui

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277621
The soleniod 4 is controlling 4th and Reverse gear oil pressure. The error code has nothing to do with the troubled rear. This solenoid controls the working oil pressure to select the gear.

Do you get this error every time when you select Reverse?

Some logging is necessary to see, whats happening while you getting the error, if you don't feel any noticeable problem with the gearbox. It could be also a bug in the "tuned" software.

The oil spitting could be leaking working oil pressure, where it shouldn't, but you say gearbox works flawlessly, so that also need more investigation, if the fill level is right.

Last edited:
Back