2017 NMS Passat with Byte 18 problem

Bakhtiyar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356829
if the code of byte 18 is masked behind 00 so how can I know the original code ???
also should I reflash the controller or not ?

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
You simply can't. The EEPROM parameters masked by 00 are overwritten as soon, as you change the value there to something else. Reflashing to another version would not help, as this does not affect this specific part of the EEPROM.

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
if the code of byte 18 is masked behind 00 so how can I know the original code ???
The simple rule is that if byte 18 is 00 then modifying byte 18 is a seriously bad idea - because you don't know what the hidden code is, which means you can't go back to it.

Bakhtiyar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356829
Hi Ms Dana

Could you please give an advice for Byte 18 as I sent it to you before and how can I change to its original code ?

thanks

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

Per your PM, providing it was in reference to to this car, my only suggestion would have been Long Coding Helper option:

A0,Lighting: VW Passat (A3/NMS/VW411) North American Region (NAR)

The other NMS options are China (CHN) so I'm not very confident they would work for your car but you may want to try them since A0 didn't help. If you don't receive any other suggestions here I suppose it couldn't hurt to try nearby options such as A1, A2, etc.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
The simple rule is that if byte 18 is 00 then modifying byte 18 is a seriously bad idea - because you don't know what the hidden code is, which means you can't go back to it.

As far as I know, if the value is 00 it means the light configuration is 'custom', as in: its not one of the preset configurations. Changing it to a preset still changes the light configuration only you cannot go back by changing bytes alone.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi Tommy,

The vast majority that are masked by 00's can be resolved by entering the proper value (providing that value is known) to restore all lighting. In this case I don't know what his would be. This car is very similar to a NAR NMS but that coding didn't work.

There however were some RoW market models where pre-ODIS required a GFF parameter test plan and current day ODIS does something similar because there wasn't an actual coding value (between HEX 01 and FF) that would fix them. If memory serves those were the late production 2009 (technically MY 2010) Skoda Octavias with PQ35 BCMs and that type would fall into your custom explanation if someone tinkered with it.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Hi Tommy,

The vast majority that are masked by 00's can be resolved by entering the proper value (providing that value is known) to restore all lighting. In this case I don't know what his would be. This car is very similar to a NAR NMS but that coding didn't work.

There however were some RoW market models where pre-ODIS required a GFF parameter test plan and current day ODIS does something similar because there wasn't an actual coding value (between HEX 01 and FF) that would fix them. If memory serves those were the late production 2009 (technically MY 2010) Skoda Octavias with PQ35 BCMs and that type would fall into your custom explanation if someone tinkered with it.

Learned something new, thanks for the explaination!

Back