Thread: Seeking advice for Apple user

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeking advice for Apple user

I'd like to have access to the comprehensive functions of VCDS for both my Audi B5S4 and VW Golf R32 as well as my son's VW Jetta Sportwagen. Armed only with an iPad Pro and an iPhoneX, if I understand my choices, I could purchase the HEX V2 and a PC laptop or the HEX NET together with my iPad Pro. Being new to a complete understanding of the abbreviated functional categories in the comparison table at Ross-Tech, I'm not sure what critical functions I'd be without if I used the iPad Pro and VCDS-Mobile. Please advise me. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The following link may be helpful:
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

If cost is the overriding factor, the least expensive solution is probably a 3-VIN HEX-V2 and cheap (possibly used) small Windows laptop. The latter can likely be gotten for less than $200. That will get you full VCDS functionality for three cars.

If you buy a HEX-NET for and are only willing to use your existing iProducts, you'll be limited to VCDS-Mobile. VCDS-Mobile is cool, but there are times when the PC software is more comfortable.

I love the HEX-NET and the fact that I don't have to have a laptop with me to do basic stuff on the road, but for more serious work, I much prefer a small laptop. Of course, the HEX-NET also works with the PC software. So if cost isn't a primary consideration, get the HEX-NET and consider getting a small Windows laptop as well.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the prompt and helpful response. I had the feeling that "both" was going to be the preferred but deep-pocketed option. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a small Windows 10 tablet made by Chuwi to run VCDS, with the optional keyboard so I've effectively got 2-in-1 without the huge cost of an MS Surface.

I normally use a MacBook Air, an iPad mini and an iPhone XS - but IMHO it's definitely worth using a dedicated laptop/tablet for VCDS.

5. Likes Uwe, moran liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad for 150 EUR and changed the HDD to SSD. just wonderful.

7. Likes Uwe, moran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not partition you MBP HDD and run Windows on it through bootcamp?

After years of using dedicated laptops, netbooks and tablets I now use it on my MBP.

Scrub that, realised you have the iPad Pro and not a MBP!
    HEX-NET

2016 äkoda Superb L&K (190CR)
    Pre-booked a VW ID.3 1st Edition

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Why not partition you MBP HDD and run Windows on it through bootcamp?

After years of using dedicated laptops, netbooks and tablets I now use it on my MBP.

Scrub that, realised you have the iPad Pro and not a MBP!
    Thanks for the thought. Iíve found a used HP notebook and have begun to use VCDS which I find more user friendly than the Windows OS itís running over.