Horn, Rear Fog , Footwell and door strip lights not working after replacing BCM

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently had the BCM replaced in my Golf 7 to support 7.5 LED headlights (saga ongoing). However since doing so, the following have stopped working in the cabin:

1. Horn
2. Footwell lights
3. Door strip & sill lights (long thin red strip)
4. Rear fog light - part of an upgraded LED retrofit, which were working fine up until BCM change. I managed to re-code the rest of the rear lights which work fine.

Can someone please help and advise on the correct coding. BCM part number is: 5q0937084cf

Thanks
Sam

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
To advise on coding we'll need you to post a full VCDS Auto-Scan.

Reactions: Uwe

royvidar

Reaction score
Hi! Remember to follow procedure of bcm replacement. Copy the code from cent.elec (09) from your stock bcm and do it! Before making any changes to the new (second hand) bcm code. Things will never work properly if you dont (depending of retrofit). Because the stock bcm is set up to match each car. This only works if your new bcm is fit for the equipment of course. (pins and software).

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
How do I know if the software is compatible? New BCM software 236 h34 looks like well ahead of old BCM software 175 H24

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Basically I need to be sure I have a BCM that will support 2017/2018 LED headlights in a 2016 GTI

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
then go to your dealer with the VIN of a car that has those headlights, and ask him what is the BCM part number.

please note >2017 BCMs don't have a long coding anymore and are exclusively configured with adaptations. I do not now if it's either possible or wise to replace an old-gen module with a new-gen one.

royvidar

Reaction score
Yep, your dealer can help you, take the part number of your stock bcm, or just go there with the plates or vin. They can tell you the part number of a newer (higher) bcm that matches your car, then compare these numbers with your new one and see if they match. Take mine for example. My stock bcm was ........086r, the dealer told me that a newer one, and that corresponds to fog light, bi-xenon etc was .....086s or ....087ac,(not golf) wich are the (highline) models of bcm. But ALWAYS copy the original code in to the new one first. It doesnt matter if your dash light up like a christmas tree after. Then make the necessery coding, nothing more, nothing less. After that you can fine tune everything with the long coding helper. If you buy a second hand unit, make sure it comes from the same type of car. The bcms can be wired differently, even if the part numbers match. My best guess is that it should come from a golf 7. And a (highline bcm).

barstanders

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277262

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Thank you gents.
I have now got all the lights sorted by changing all the adaptations.
However the HORN is the only thing not working.
Any thoughts on the coding for the Horn?

Thanks
Sam

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Hi Royvidar,
Thanks for this. My 2016 GTI stock BCM wouldn't support Mk7.5 headlights. But the 5q0937084cf BCM does as expected because this is stocked in MK7.5. Is there ever likely to be a software / firmware incompatibility problem? Everything is now re-coded via the adaptations all lights working. However the Horn is not working despite all other buttons on the steering wheel working.
If I re-connect the old BCM the horn works. Software incompatibility has been suggested by some, however others say the MQB systems are interchangeable and so there should not be firmware incompatibility. Yes the adaptation / coding was different but I managed to complete the many changes to make all the interior lights active.
It's just the dam horn!!!

OLD BCM 5q0937084as 0175 H24
New BCM 5q0937084cf 0236 H34

At this point I'm putting it down to a faulty BCM and looking at another replacement directly from a Mk7.5 Golf R.

Are the horns compatible between 2016 and 2017/18 GTI's?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
We're still waiting for you to post a FULL UNEDITED Auto-Scan :popcorn:

Reactions: Uwe

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Code:
Removed.  Data from a clone/pirate copy of VCDS is not weclome here.

Last edited by a moderator:

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Code:
Removed.  Data from a clone/pirate copy of VCDS is not weclome here.

Last edited by a moderator:

sammie M

Pirate
Walking the Plank
Reaction score
Auto-scan and admap scan posted

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001