Markets / Economy

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Two newly delivered 737 Max crashing in a very similar stage into the flight - some reports suggest that the anti-stall software is over intrusive causing the nose to keep being pushed down to lose altitude and (re)gain speed.

Sounds like some serious software investigation is needed ...

Really glad that my next flight to the US in May won't be on a Boeing 737 Max ;)
Yes, it would seem there might be issues with the MCAS implementation. But let's not forget that the Lion Air crash could easily have been prevented if the pilots had just flipped that system off when it started to mis-behave and hand-flown the plane. And now we have the Ethiopian Air crash with with a 29 year old Pilot In Command, and a co-pilot who only had 200 flight hours. The PIC supposedly had 8000 hours. How is that even possible at age 29?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it much on a US, British, or German airline. I would trust their pilots to turn that crap off and actually aviate.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
And people want self driving cars WTF!
Not all of us do :thumbs:

Remember the Airbus crash many years ago at the Paris Air Show? Investigators found that the avionics prevented the pilot EVER exceeding a G limit (which had a safety margin that the airframe could sustain) and if that limit could have been temporarily exceeded then the crash wouldn't have happened.

Software that provides operating limits is fine, but IMHO the pilot/driver should ALWAYS be allowed to exceed those limits (with suitable warnings being shown/sounded) as the pilot/driver may be aware of factors that make it safer to exceed the limits than enforce them (such as avoiding a crash!).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Remember the Airbus crash many years ago at the Paris Air Show? Investigators found that the avionics prevented the pilot EVER exceeding a G limit (which had a safety margin that the airframe could sustain) and if that limit could have been temporarily exceeded then the crash wouldn't have happened.
You mean Air France Flight 296? I don't recall it being a G-limit, but there certainly were questions whether the then-new fly-by-wire stuff may not have responded as it should have.

We've had these kinds of questions in cars for quite some time. Take ABS. Most of the time it's beneficial, but there are surfaces when the quickest way to get stopped is to lock up all four wheels. Unfortunately, ABS won't allow one that option.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
giphy.gif

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
And people want self driving cars WTF!

Jack:I'm one of those "people": not only self-driving cars but fully functioning robots too!!!

Some folk seek answers in an omnipotent (impotent?) deity as they age, but as I enter that phase of my life when my intellectual decline becomes greater than the plasticity of my failing brain and my physical decrepitude becomes obvious every time I try to do stuff that I could easily do yesterday - I look to technology.

I reckon self driving cars and my own personal robot can't come too soon. Forget religion - AI has all the answers that I want (and I get the benefits in this life - not in some nebulous place called hell in a fictitious "next life")!! :cool:

Don

PS: of course - my other hope is that my self driving car and my personal robot both come with OBD ports installed!!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Oh, no, not #12 on the list -- Needless Markup! What will we do without them?

Something like 40 of those companies are B&M retailers. A few more are fashion or retail related holding companies. Sucks to be them, but America has changed how it shops for dry goods. The guy who saw this coming is now the richest man in the world.

There's really only one company company of substance on that list, and that's Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), and they're a heavily regulated utility. That's all I'll say about that. ;)

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
There's really only one company company of substance on that list, and that's Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), and they're a heavily regulated utility. That's all I'll say about that. ;)

-Uwe-

RFLMAO

PlasticFavorableFiddlercrab-max-1mb.gif

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
We could always balance the budget with Capital punishment?

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
Oh, no, not #12 on the list -- Needless Markup! What will we do without them?

Something like 40 of those companies are B&M retailers. A few more are fashion or retail related holding companies. Sucks to be them, but America has changed how it shops for dry goods. The guy who saw this coming is now the richest man in the world.

-Uwe-

PG&E declared bankruptcy to get protection from the lawsuits that are coming; not for current financial issues. What happens if the lawsuits never come?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Back