Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Check Brake Pads" message on 2000 Passat B5 variant v6 auto trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJuod View Post
    yes, thank you. It looks a lot better now. I cant post a pic of the dash warning symbol. I am pulling the wheel tocheck the brake pad wear indicator and try to repair it there. If I can't and the brake pads are very good which i believe they are, then I would like to be able to program out the brake pad warning light in the Instrument Cluster.
    As a former B5.5 Passat owner, I can confirm that is indeed a brake pad wear sensor circuit warning. They're present on the front inboard pads only. It works as Jef and Uwe described. The wire is embedded in the pad material at a certain wear depth, and when the pad wears down to that point, it breaks the wire and therefore the circuit.

As "normal operation" of the car, it will not show up as a fault in a VCDS scan, much like the low washer fluid warning won't.

The warning can be disabled through coding in your instrument cluster, address 17. I would not advise that unless you know what you're doing, and you have personally verified pad thickness on both sides, bearing in mind that asymmetric wear can happen between the inboard and outboard pads and a visual check of the outboard pad alone isn't enough.
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 02-20-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    Silence gives consent.

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is very common for the wire to be damaged and stretched from some asshole hanging the suspension improper or when doing control arms etc & if nothing seems wrong with pad sensors when you ring them out just an FYI?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Okay so what qualifies a WD being an illegal WD?
    Copyright. But "fair use" provides a defense in some cases, particularly small snippets.

Copyright protects a particular expression of information, but not the information itself, meaning it's acceptable to re-draw a diagram. This is what many of the aftermarket service information providers do in order avoid legal problems, but of course that process can be error-prone.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it all depends on who in what alliance, the deep state or the cabal you ruffle?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help. The simplest fix worked. I jumpered the connector as the brake pad sensor wire was frayed in spots and no taping the bare spot was going to be guaranteedto hold up under weather. The pads are like new after only 4000 miles in almost 2 years, and I swap winter summer tires so I will inspect the brakes twice per year.

Next question, will my KII - USB test cable work with my 2013 jetta, and if not, can I get a trade in? When I bought it around 7 years ago, a bought the cheaper model that was fit for my old B5 thinking that I would never own another VW Thank you

7. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Next question, will my KII - USB test cable work with my 2013 jetta, and if not, can I get a trade in? When I bought it around 7 years ago, a bought the cheaper model that was fit for my old B5 thinking that I would never own another VW Thank you
    Nope, won't work. Upgrade here. You're in category 3.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, won't work. Upgrade here. You're in category 3.

-Uwe-
    No wall for upgrade there and a fine ass deal.
    https://goo.gl/images/d4ztAS

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    No wall for upgrade there and a fine ass deal.
    https://goo.gl/images/d4ztAS
    Hi, I picked the older dongle selection to HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET. Will the new HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET still work with my B5 ?

I looked further and the HEX - V2 Enthusiast has this ;
    “VAG model year coverage: 1995 – Current model year*”

That sounds like it will work with both the B5 and the 2013 Jetta. Is that right?
    Last edited by RayJuod; 02-20-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: More info

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for all the bells and whistles and consider making your money back & by offering cheap scans for people with unlimited VIN's & so at same time you can than become more proficient yourself too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I picked the older dongle selection to HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET. Will the new HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET still work with my B5 ?

I looked further and the HEX - V2 Enthusiast has this ;
    “VAG model year coverage: 1995 – Current model year*”

That sounds like it will work with both the B5 and the 2013 Jetta. Is that right?
    Correct. All our current interfaces are universally compatible with all VW/Audi that came with an OBD-II connector.

-Uwe-