Capacity of the battery charger to us on electrical rear brake tiguan TDI 2013

rimi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=290838
hello rimi retired mechanic in belgium. I use a google translator sorry for speling and I'm looking for the capacity of the battery charger as seen in the video of ross tech. to avoid battery discharge during rear brake replacement or longer work rimtyre@gmail.com

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
On a Tiguan like yours, 10A should be sufficient if you make sure all the consumers that can be shut off are shut off. HVAC, heated seats, radio, all lights, etc.

Some cars with more equipment will need 20-30A.

-Uwe-

rimi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=290838
tanks for your help rimi from belguim

Hakkapeliitta

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315485
I just did rear brakes for my Audi A6 2014 quattro and used 5.0A battery charger, no problems.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I just did rear brakes for my Audi A6 2014 quattro and used 5.0A battery charger, no problems.
Anything is better than nothing, but I'm pretty sure 5A is not enough to sustain that car indefinitely with the ignition on.

My definition of "adequate" for any particular car: Battery voltage should not drop below 13V with the charger connected no matter how long you leave the ignition on. How many amps this requires will vary from car model to car model, and also whether you ensure you've turned all non-essential consumers off.

-Uwe-

DGMotors

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57532
Battery condition and state of charge is major player, If the battery is low and you only have small charger leave the battery on charge hours before hand to get the voltage up,

On rear brakes I have also had the engine running to keep the voltage up (Don't recommend it, but replacing caliper on customer drive needs must)

Back