Thread: Capacity of the battery charger to us on electrical rear brake tiguan TDI 2013

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Capacity of the battery charger to us on electrical rear brake tiguan TDI 2013

hello rimi retired mechanic in belgium. I use a google translator sorry for speling and I'm looking for the capacity of the battery charger as seen in the video of ross tech. to avoid battery discharge during rear brake replacement or longer work rimtyre@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On a Tiguan like yours, 10A should be sufficient if you make sure all the consumers that can be shut off are shut off. HVAC, heated seats, radio, all lights, etc.

Some cars with more equipment will need 20-30A.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes rimi, Fredrick Awuor liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    tanks for your help rimi from belguim

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just did rear brakes for my Audi A6 2014 quattro and used 5.0A battery charger, no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakkapeliitta View Post
    I just did rear brakes for my Audi A6 2014 quattro and used 5.0A battery charger, no problems.
    Anything is better than nothing, but I'm pretty sure 5A is not enough to sustain that car indefinitely with the ignition on.

My definition of "adequate" for any particular car: Battery voltage should not drop below 13V with the charger connected no matter how long you leave the ignition on. How many amps this requires will vary from car model to car model, and also whether you ensure you've turned all non-essential consumers off.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes Bruce, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Battery condition and state of charge is major player, If the battery is low and you only have small charger leave the battery on charge hours before hand to get the voltage up,

On rear brakes I have also had the engine running to keep the voltage up (Don't recommend it, but replacing caliper on customer drive needs must)