Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU reflash (Battery Charger Question)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

ECU reflash (Battery Charger Question)

Vehicle: Audi A3 1.9 TDI 77 kW BKC, EDC16U1 (03G 906 016 J ver.5497)

I'm getting ready for EDC16U1 reflashing with factory .sgo file and with Abrites Avdi tool and software.

To stabilize voltage and supply the power to battery I will use Flash-mem 60 with flash mode. I don't know which option is best to set for voltage (it has 3 options: 13.8V, 14.4V and 14.8V). Also I don't know which current to choose (5A, 15A,30A and 60A)?
    What else I have to look out while reflashing ECU software)?

Please can you help me with advice.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with the "Flash-mem 60" charger / power supply, but I would use 13.8V, which can be left connected more-or-less indefinitely without over-charging the battery.

5A probably isn't sufficient. I would go for 15 or 30A. Assuming the battery is well-charged before you start, the car will only draw however much current it needs from the charger.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. I would go to 13.8V with 15-30A for flashing,
    and for coding and diagnostic purposes when ignition is on, engine off 13.8V with 5A.
    Maybe I could measure amperage when flashing to see how much draw..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davor Sule View Post
    Agree. I would go to 13.8V with 15-30A for flashing,
    and for coding and diagnostic purposes when ignition is on, engine off 13.8V with 5A.
    Maybe I could measure amperage when flashing to see how much draw..
    Flashing isn't going to consume noticeably more current than diagnostics.

5A is probably too little even for an extended diagnostics session.

Assuming the battery starts out well-charged, there's no harm in keeping the current limit set high. The only reason for low current limits is so to prevent abuse of a small, heavily discharged battery. For example if you hit a motorcycle-sized battery that's totally discharged with 60A, it likely won't be very happy about that.

At Ross-Tech, we use 20 - 30A chargers when we do extended diagnostic sessions (which is quite often). None of them have adjustable current limits.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes Davor Sule liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would use 14.4 volts and at least 30amps (it wont use 30amps, only as may as it needs to keep the voltage at what you set it so 60amps is safe) . Diagnostic wont use may amps but flashing will as sometimes the cooling fan will run at full speed.

7. Likes Eric, Davor Sule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey08 View Post
    Diagnostic wont use may amps but flashing will as sometimes the cooling fan will run at full speed.
    Good point; I didn't think about the possibility of the cooling fans coming on.

-Uwe-

9. Likes Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand. Do you know which current is neccessary when flashing in bdm or boot mode?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    2-5 AMPS is sufficient and load static should be 1.5 AMPS with no consumers powered static on bench.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

12. Likes Davor Sule liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    DC power supply 12-14 V with 3Amps is enough?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah should be okay once capacitors charge up & in first 100ms and provided you have security access to enter 85 mode.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

15. Likes Davor Sule liked this post