How to easily source and fix the ESCL on VAG Grab bag of tricks!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I have had success with replacing the micro switches and servo motor with worm gear & which fail, but usually most just want the lock disabled & so it can't fail again?

What's the point of locking the steering if the car can't be started anyway on an old car, no one wants to steal this POS anyway?

Lots of reports of the lock not unlocking in cold weather and people pissed off?

Example not endorsed......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Kit-...WywW:rk:9:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-a6-c6-...3Zxw:rk:6:pf:0

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
What's the point of locking the steering if the car can't be started anyway on an old car, no one wants to steal this POS anyway?
I don't understand why separate ESCLs exist on modern VWs with electromechanical power steering. Add a pin and a solenoid to the EPS rack, and include it in the Immo handshake. Done and done. You've already spent the money on a microcontroller and CAN bus connectivity. It would be easier to design and package, and it's still in a shielded location. It would cost less, weigh less, and make the steering column itself lighter and more compact, thus safer in a severe crash.

JamesMR2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=169692
I have a problem with a steering lock on a 2008 Q7 with module 4F0905852D with a MC9S12DG256 mcu inside and exchange the mcu into a 4F0905852B board module using MC9S12DG128 mcu from a A6 2006 and it worked just fine.
Seems like the 4F0905852D with MC9S12DG256 mcu used on 2008> can be exchanged with 4F0905852B with MC9S12DG128 mcu used on >2008 and they are compatible.
Also although there is a difference on the main board itself for the 2 versions but the mcu can be exchanged between the two different boards and still works.
I had tried this and works.
Had my original 4F0905852D board damaged with good mcu and mounted it on older board for 4F0905852B and worked fine.

JamesMR2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=169692
The problems i have is VCDS procedures to do adaptation, coding, and even access login on these modules.
Can't find detailed information and procedures for these EZS modules. Should they be "confidential/classified"?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Can't find detailed information and procedures for these EZS modules. Should they be "confidential/classified"?
Since the procedures are likely Intellectual Property of VAG that's a question you maybe should ask VAG?

I reckon the independent VAG community do a pretty good job "discovering" VAG procedures, etc.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The problems i have is VCDS procedures to do adaptation, coding, and even access login on these modules.
The steering column lock module on those cars is an integral part of the anti-theft immobilizer and I'm not aware of any stand-alone solutions to matching a replacement to the car. Even the Audi dealer can't do it without a connection to the mothership's servers.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ Jack: excellent write-up - thanks for posting.

I'm no where near your knowledge base, or your expertise on these matters, but if I could add a small adjunct to an already exemplary instruction-set - I was able to fix a similar unit by replacing the electrolytic capacitor that I have circled in the picture below (the picture was taken from your post).

The unit that I encountered had similar symptoms - my guess was that the dielectric material in the capacitor had become "leaky" over the years and my hunch was reinforced by the fact that there was a slight bow in the capacitor housing (the "can" - not to be confused with the CAN) -it gets much hotter down here, I suspect.

Anyway, a small amount of work with a soldering iron and a bit of luck finding a similarly rated capacitor in my junk box and all was well - although I was very happy that a "spanner-jockey" had the more arduous task of removing and replacing the mechanism from the car

Perhaps something to consider if your suggestion about replacing the micro switches doesn't work.

Don

hPzBGah.png

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Last edited:

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Thumbing over this again... so a relay and some switches... ebay listing Jack has is over $80 for a few parts.

Relay is a Panasonic ACT512 which is about $5 at this time from Digi-Key or Mouser.

The micro switches, I'm not able to figure out just what they are.... can find TONS of unknown sourced china options.... I suspect they might be Honeywell switches, but I can't find anything that matches up.... would like to link to Digi-Key and Mouser. If any one has one a rando SCLM in the dust bin, lets open it up and see if we can correctly ID those switches.

Reactions: Uwe

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
We just replace the Passat's and Touareg's with new ESCL ( around 150 euros per original part from parts store), recode/immo and it's done. Job costs under 400 euros ( labor+software+parts) , 12 months warranty.
For Audi , we just resoft without ESCL if so the client desires. This option does not work on Passat/ Touareg
And yeah , to put the cherry on top , the VW ESCL is MADE IN ROMANIA ! :)
Methods, methods.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Uwe
Back