Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hex+Can interface not found by VCDS

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Doug,

Are you using a Windows PC or a virtualized environment at this time? Any additional information you can provide related to the PC or OS that was used to update the FW using 14.10.0 and any other automotive software that may be installed would be helpful.

-Dana

Internal Ref to: ST?ID=55249
    Parallels 9
    Windows 7
    Nefmoto flashloader software (for the dumb cable; I've switched back and forth between Nefmoto and VCDS without issue)
    Motoza flashloader software (for their own proprietary USB cable; this software was installed recently, and if such a thing is possible, could be causing a conflict; I believe the error with VCDS arose the first time after installing Motoza's software & drivers)

If the Motoza software is causing a conflict, it should be only within the original Windows partition where it was installed. The second partition is a completely clean install but for the Ross-Tech software. And the problem persists in that environment.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Does it show up in Device Manager? If so, open its properties sheet, click the Details tab, and select the Hardware Ids property. What do you see there?
    Can you do the same with the Motoza hardware plugged in? I'm curious to see if there's an overlap...

3. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    Can you do the same with the Motoza hardware plugged in? I'm curious to see if there's an overlap...

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't see an obvious conflict but virtualized environments aren't supported. If you have a Windows PC, even if you have to borrow one, please install VCDS and let us know if that resolves the issue. If it does you may want to try Bootcamp.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't see an obvious conflict but virtualized environments aren't supported. If you have a Windows PC, even if you have to borrow one, please install VCDS and let us know if that resolves the issue. If it does you may want to try Bootcamp.
    No access to a Windows PC here, just the same Parallels setup I've used successfully for years up until your latest automatic updates. Having re-installed Windows on a separate partition, restoring the previous version of VCDS software & trying the interface on multiple cars I have run out of troubleshooting steps to take. This appears to be an issue with the cable itself, presumably owing to the just-installed firmware.

Please advise next steps to take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that interface may not be faulty but we can offer you a FRR (Flat Rate Repair) for $129.00 plus shipping if you do not have a Windows PC to test it with. If you want to go this route I can email you the details but please confirm the short serial number on that HEX-USB+CAN is: HC801673

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the only OSX user here at the office. I tried 14.10 on my MBP using virtual box and it worked* . Have you ruled out Parallels? Maybe an OSX or Parallels software update is causing problems.

* Virtual machines will have random communication problems and will never be as good as a real windows pc. My testing does not alter Ross-Tech's views on virtual environments. By "worked" i connected to a module and pulled faults.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that interface may not be faulty but we can offer you a FRR (Flat Rate Repair) for $129.00 plus shipping if you do not have a Windows PC to test it with. If you want to go this route I can email you the details but please confirm the short serial number on that HEX-USB+CAN is: HC801673
    Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    I'm the only OSX user here at the office. I tried 14.10 on my MBP using virtual box and it worked* . Have you ruled out Parallels? Maybe an OSX or Parallels software update is causing problems.

* Virtual machines will have random communication problems and will never be as good as a real windows pc. My testing does not alter Ross-Tech's views on virtual environments. By "worked" i connected to a module and pulled faults.
    Do you folks really think the operating system or the Parallels environment could allow the cable to be recognized when not connected to a car, but then cause a fault when the plug is connected to the OBD interface?

Regardless, I'd appreciate a response to the email I sent separately about the issue. At this point, public posts don't serve much purpose.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo View Post
    Do you folks really think the operating system or the Parallels environment could allow the cable to be recognized when not connected to a car, but then cause a fault when the plug is connected to the OBD interface?
    Unclear. Running Windows in a VM has caused customers of ours all sorts of problems in the past. Since we're not in a position to reproduce every host OS / VM manager / Windows combination that everyone might like to use (not to mention keeping them all up-to-date), such environments are explicitly "unsupported".

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 12-16-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So here's where we are now:

The cable and computer are again able to communicate with cars' ECUs. The solution, though, isn't so easy to identify. As I'd indicated before, the error was happening on a fresh installation of Windows into a virtualized partition in Parallels. I decided to create an actual partition on the hard drive using Mac's "Boot Camp" setup. This partition is fully bootable in Windows, so after a lengthy installation and setup I was able to boot the Macbook into Windows. The cable worked in that environment. I then re-booted the computer back to Mac OS, started Windows from within Parallels -- and again the cable worked.

Another detail is that after creating the free-standing Windows partition, I firstly tried the cable from within the virtualized environment. No good. It "fixed itself" only after booting into Windows and then testing the interface. I've subsequently connected several times while back in the Parallels environment. It works flawlessly.

Who knows. I wish I could provide a better explanation. But something must have sorted itself out when Windows wasn't being run via the emulator.

12. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post