Hex+Can interface not found by VCDS

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
Doug,

Are you using a Windows PC or a virtualized environment at this time? Any additional information you can provide related to the PC or OS that was used to update the FW using 14.10.0 and any other automotive software that may be installed would be helpful.

-Dana

Internal Ref to: ST?ID=55249

Parallels 9
Windows 7
Nefmoto flashloader software (for the dumb cable; I've switched back and forth between Nefmoto and VCDS without issue)
Motoza flashloader software (for their own proprietary USB cable; this software was installed recently, and if such a thing is possible, could be causing a conflict; I believe the error with VCDS arose the first time after installing Motoza's software & drivers)

If the Motoza software is causing a conflict, it should be only within the original Windows partition where it was installed. The second partition is a completely clean install but for the Ross-Tech software. And the problem persists in that environment.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it show up in Device Manager? If so, open its properties sheet, click the Details tab, and select the Hardware Ids property. What do you see there?

Can you do the same with the Motoza hardware plugged in? I'm curious to see if there's an overlap...

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
Can you do the same with the Motoza hardware plugged in? I'm curious to see if there's an overlap...

Motoza_Hardware_Ids.jpg

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
We don't see an obvious conflict but virtualized environments aren't supported. If you have a Windows PC, even if you have to borrow one, please install VCDS and let us know if that resolves the issue. If it does you may want to try Bootcamp.

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
We don't see an obvious conflict but virtualized environments aren't supported. If you have a Windows PC, even if you have to borrow one, please install VCDS and let us know if that resolves the issue. If it does you may want to try Bootcamp.

No access to a Windows PC here, just the same Parallels setup I've used successfully for years up until your latest automatic updates. Having re-installed Windows on a separate partition, restoring the previous version of VCDS software & trying the interface on multiple cars I have run out of troubleshooting steps to take. This appears to be an issue with the cable itself, presumably owing to the just-installed firmware.

Please advise next steps to take.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Well, that interface may not be faulty but we can offer you a FRR (Flat Rate Repair) for $129.00 plus shipping if you do not have a Windows PC to test it with. If you want to go this route I can email you the details but please confirm the short serial number on that HEX-USB+CAN is: HC801673

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm the only OSX user here at the office. I tried 14.10 on my MBP using virtual box and it worked* . Have you ruled out Parallels? Maybe an OSX or Parallels software update is causing problems.

* Virtual machines will have random communication problems and will never be as good as a real windows pc. My testing does not alter Ross-Tech's views on virtual environments. By "worked" i connected to a module and pulled faults.

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
Well, that interface may not be faulty but we can offer you a FRR (Flat Rate Repair) for $129.00 plus shipping if you do not have a Windows PC to test it with. If you want to go this route I can email you the details but please confirm the short serial number on that HEX-USB+CAN is: HC801673

I'm the only OSX user here at the office. I tried 14.10 on my MBP using virtual box and it worked* . Have you ruled out Parallels? Maybe an OSX or Parallels software update is causing problems.

* Virtual machines will have random communication problems and will never be as good as a real windows pc. My testing does not alter Ross-Tech's views on virtual environments. By "worked" i connected to a module and pulled faults.

Do you folks really think the operating system or the Parallels environment could allow the cable to be recognized when not connected to a car, but then cause a fault when the plug is connected to the OBD interface?

Regardless, I'd appreciate a response to the email I sent separately about the issue. At this point, public posts don't serve much purpose.

Thx

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do you folks really think the operating system or the Parallels environment could allow the cable to be recognized when not connected to a car, but then cause a fault when the plug is connected to the OBD interface?
Unclear. Running Windows in a VM has caused customers of ours all sorts of problems in the past. Since we're not in a position to reproduce every host OS / VM manager / Windows combination that everyone might like to use (not to mention keeping them all up-to-date), such environments are explicitly "unsupported".

-Uwe-

Last edited:

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
So here's where we are now:

Ross-Tech_successful_port_test.jpg

The cable and computer are again able to communicate with cars' ECUs. The solution, though, isn't so easy to identify. As I'd indicated before, the error was happening on a fresh installation of Windows into a virtualized partition in Parallels. I decided to create an actual partition on the hard drive using Mac's "Boot Camp" setup. This partition is fully bootable in Windows, so after a lengthy installation and setup I was able to boot the Macbook into Windows. The cable worked in that environment. I then re-booted the computer back to Mac OS, started Windows from within Parallels -- and again the cable worked.

Another detail is that after creating the free-standing Windows partition, I firstly tried the cable from within the virtualized environment. No good. It "fixed itself" only after booting into Windows and then testing the interface. I've subsequently connected several times while back in the Parallels environment. It works flawlessly.

Who knows. I wish I could provide a better explanation. But something must have sorted itself out when Windows wasn't being run via the emulator.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I had same problem, when using some other cables that were cobined with ftdi com port chip. After that VCDS would also be identified as com port. Reboot solved it.

brudnicki

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21453
I am experiencing the same exact issue after upgrading. Options; test; sees my Hex+Can then when I attach to the car I get the cable is no longer recognized. As with doug@frakenturbo, I have been using it with Parallels and Windows XP with all previous versions of VCDS for the last 7 years without issue. 14.10.0 and the firmware upgrade broke that. I understand the official position is that virtualized environments are no longer supported. However, you changed something in the drivers which are causing this issue. Now I will need to give up valuable disk space, time and effort to go the bootcamp route just to use the SW while I'm stuck with a broken car I cannot diagnose.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I understand the official position is that virtualized environments are no longer supported.
No, they have NEVER been supported.

However, you changed something in the drivers which are causing this issue.
All we do is "private label" FTDI's drivers. The only reason we do that is to try to avoid interfering with other hardware that might use the same drivers and be dependent on a particular version of them, and if we kept them generic, we'd be potentially be breaking other people's stuff. If you believe the problem is the drivers, I'd encourage you to try reverting them. VCDS might complain that they're old, but it doesn't enforce using current ones.

-Uwe-

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OSX, Parallels and VCDS updates were released around the same time in October. It could be any of them causing problems.

btw I'm using Virtual box with my MBP and VCDS 14.10... (Not Supported)

3nFnAVa.png

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
Now I will need to give up valuable disk space, time and effort to go the bootcamp route just to use the SW while I'm stuck with a broken car I cannot diagnose.

While I was going through the BootCamp process, I had to connect a USB-based storage card for temporary use. It occurs to me that you could simply use that inexpensive thumbdrive and just install all the Windows stuff on it. When not doing VCDS, disconnect it.

brudnicki

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21453
While I was going through the BootCamp process, I had to connect a USB-based storage card for temporary use. It occurs to me that you could simply use that inexpensive thumbdrive and just install all the Windows stuff on it. When not doing VCDS, disconnect it.

Thanks for the pointer!

brudnicki

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21453
No, they have NEVER been supported.

All we do is "private label" FTDI's drivers. The only reason we do that is to try to avoid interfering with other hardware that might use the same drivers and be dependent on a particular version of them, and if we kept them generic, we'd be potentially be breaking other people's stuff. If you believe the problem is the drivers, I'd encourage you to try reverting them. VCDS might complain that they're old, but it doesn't enforce using current ones.

-Uwe-

Uwe - thanks for the reply. Any pointers on how to revert to the old drivers would be appreciated.

brudnicki

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21453
OSX, Parallels and VCDS updates were released around the same time in October. It could be any of them causing problems.

I updated parallels and had been using VCDS release 12.12.0 without issue. It was after the update to 14.10 and HEX+CAN firmware update that I started having issues.

Back