Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hex+Can interface not found by VCDS

Post Thanks / Like
    I had same problem, when using some other cables that were cobined with ftdi com port chip. After that VCDS would also be identified as com port. Reboot solved it.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am experiencing the same exact issue after upgrading. Options; test; sees my Hex+Can then when I attach to the car I get the cable is no longer recognized. As with doug@frakenturbo, I have been using it with Parallels and Windows XP with all previous versions of VCDS for the last 7 years without issue. 14.10.0 and the firmware upgrade broke that. I understand the official position is that virtualized environments are no longer supported. However, you changed something in the drivers which are causing this issue. Now I will need to give up valuable disk space, time and effort to go the bootcamp route just to use the SW while I'm stuck with a broken car I cannot diagnose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brudnicki View Post
    I understand the official position is that virtualized environments are no longer supported.
    No, they have NEVER been supported.

However, you changed something in the drivers which are causing this issue.
    All we do is "private label" FTDI's drivers. The only reason we do that is to try to avoid interfering with other hardware that might use the same drivers and be dependent on a particular version of them, and if we kept them generic, we'd be potentially be breaking other people's stuff. If you believe the problem is the drivers, I'd encourage you to try reverting them. VCDS might complain that they're old, but it doesn't enforce using current ones.

-Uwe-

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    OSX, Parallels and VCDS updates were released around the same time in October. It could be any of them causing problems.

btw I'm using Virtual box with my MBP and VCDS 14.10... (Not Supported)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now I will need to give up valuable disk space, time and effort to go the bootcamp route just to use the SW while I'm stuck with a broken car I cannot diagnose.
    While I was going through the BootCamp process, I had to connect a USB-based storage card for temporary use. It occurs to me that you could simply use that inexpensive thumbdrive and just install all the Windows stuff on it. When not doing VCDS, disconnect it.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo View Post
    While I was going through the BootCamp process, I had to connect a USB-based storage card for temporary use. It occurs to me that you could simply use that inexpensive thumbdrive and just install all the Windows stuff on it. When not doing VCDS, disconnect it.
    Thanks for the pointer!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    No, they have NEVER been supported.

All we do is "private label" FTDI's drivers. The only reason we do that is to try to avoid interfering with other hardware that might use the same drivers and be dependent on a particular version of them, and if we kept them generic, we'd be potentially be breaking other people's stuff. If you believe the problem is the drivers, I'd encourage you to try reverting them. VCDS might complain that they're old, but it doesn't enforce using current ones.

-Uwe-
    Uwe - thanks for the reply. Any pointers on how to revert to the old drivers would be appreciated.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    OSX, Parallels and VCDS updates were released around the same time in October. It could be any of them causing problems.
    I updated parallels and had been using VCDS release 12.12.0 without issue. It was after the update to 14.10 and HEX+CAN firmware update that I started having issues.