Hex+Can interface not found by VCDS

MoparFreak69

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=223856
As the title states, ever since updating to VCDS 14.10, and its associated firmware update, my cable cannot be found by VCDS. It appears in the device manager and is stated to be working properly. I am able to use it with other programs so the cable itself is functional, it seems to have lost its identifier during the update.

NotFound.jpg

Here is what I get when I test the connection in the options tab.

devicemanager.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the device manager along with the interface's serial number info.

Is there a source to download and attempt to reflash the firmware on the cable to try to restore connectivity with VCDS? I have an airbag light that is ready to be cleared, but can't do so without access.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am able to use it with other programs
What other programs have you used with it? The most likely explanation here is that one of them reprogrammed it for its purposes, something which is quite rude.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

MoparFreak69

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=223856
I have used it with the Nefmoto flasher/logger program, which isn't supposed to make any changes, just requiring the cable to be in dumb mode. I haven't heard of anybody having issues using a genuine Ross-Tech cable with it.

Will I have to send the cable back in to be reprogrammed?

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
How about reinstall of VCDS?

MoparFreak69

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=223856
I tried reinstalling VCDS multiple times. Still the same error.

I also attempted to connect to the ECU with an EEPROM reader available on the Nefmoto site, to make a copy of my immo data, but it could never connect, until I found out the Hex+Can cable doesn't make an 'official' COM port so it would never work with this cable anyway. It runs off of basic command lines, none which involve changing any of the COM port parameters, so I doubt it reprogrammed the cable.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I thought to get the "nefmoto" EEPROM reader (not the tuning software) to work with it, you have to use a different driver (for the com port issue), which it may have installed, instead of the Ross-Tech driver (though the tiny EXE that does it shouldn't be capable of doing it itslef)

I've not tried to use the VCDS cable for anything, just in case thins happened :rolleyes: Though I actually thought it would be pretty unlikely to happen - maybe you're the prrof it can :eek:

If you install VCDS on another PC, it should determine whether the cable or the PC has a problem. Perhaps the driver has been changed on the PC, and it's not updating the driver, hence it still not working??? Or maybe a registry entry that stays after uninstall is still there, upsetting it?

MoparFreak69

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=223856
I tried installing VCDS on my desktop computer, same results.

Also did a full driver delete (delete drivers, unplug it, plug back in and allow windows to install different drivers, deleted those drivers, repeated until it prompted me to direct it where the drivers are), results are the same.

When I tried to use it for the Nefmoto EEPROM reader I didn't do anything with the drivers, simply attempted to connect using all the available COM port settings as I couldn't get a definitive answer as to which COM port the cable uses. Later I find out that the cable doesn't emulate a COM port which is why it didn't work with that reader, and I left it at that as I didn't want to risk the cable.
Mind you I attempted all of this before the updates, and everything was happy even after those use attempts, but before the updates.

Not sure what happened, can only speculate that the update didn't fully program properly, or another program slightly modified the cable's data causing it to be seen as a possible clone with the update, causing it to be red flagged by VCDS. I am good with computers but no programmer by any means.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will I have to send the cable back in to be reprogrammed?
Not sure. We can try some stuff, but I'd like to do that via e-mail. Please send an e-mail to Support@... and include a link to this thread.

-Uwe-

MoparFreak69

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=223856
Done, thanks!

Hopefully we can figure out what happened to prevent possible future user error if I caused it.

MoparFreak69

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=223856
Well, still unsure what caused my issue, but the problem has been remedied. I ended up finding a similar program to the one you pointed me to, Uwe, as it wouldn't program the info correctly for some unknown reason. Anyway, everything is back to how it should be and I have full functionality again. Thanks a ton for your assistance!

Reactions: Uwe

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
I am having the identical problem with my Hex+Can cable. It lost the ability to interface with any car immediately after updating the software/drivers/firmware. Same error dialog as this:

NotFound.jpg

If the cable is NOT attached to an active OBD port, then the "Test" function works as you'd expect: Interface Found...not connected to car!" But if you plug the interface into the OBD and re-test, the error reoccurs. I've tried re-installing everything to no avail.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Please describe the behavior of LED on the interface when you do plug it into a car.

-Uwe-

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
Briefly red, then switches to steady green. Thx

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Does it show up in Device Manager? If so, open its properties sheet, click the Details tab, and select the Hardware Ids property. What do you see there?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How the heck did you manage an empty post?

-Uwe-

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
I've changed the format of the picture so it resolves properly on all computers. Here it is again in jpeg format.

Ross-Tech_Hardware_Ids.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, that looks good. I'm scratching my head now. It's clearly not the same problem as the OP in this thread had. I think we should RMA this one.

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Doug,

Are you using a Windows PC or a virtualized environment at this time? Any additional information you can provide related to the PC or OS that was used to update the FW using 14.10.0 and any other automotive software that may be installed would be helpful.

-Dana

Internal Ref to: ST?ID=55249

doug@frankenturbo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=130041
I'm using Parallels on a Mac, as I have with the cable for years. I tried creating a new hard drive partition, reinstalling Windows, etc. with no change. I downloaded the Lite version of VCDS and was able to interface to a "dumb" cable. VCDS-Lite isn't intended for a USB-based cable like the Hex+Can, so I can't test that.

Again, VCDS is able to successfully test the cable as long as it's not connected to a car.

Back