HEX-V2 and car software limitations?

Z06

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Hello,

I'm considering buying a HEX-V2 for personal use. My official VW dealership says the following modifications aren't possible on Sharan / Alhambra 7N platform that use BCM PQ35 M:
- Fog lights are turned on automatically when high beams are in use (and also automatically switched off when low beams are activated)
- Adjusting auto-hold strength to lowest possible (quickest release)
- Mirror lights / puddle lights are turned on automatically when reverse gear is selected
- Fog lights are turned on automatically when reverse gear is selected

According to info I could get all this should be easily doable on newer MQB platform but not on Sharan/Alhambra 7N. It would greatly help me to decide about investing in the HEX-V2 purchase if anyone could comment on the features above. Also, is there an option that those tweaks would be included in the future VCDS software updates?

Kind regards.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The question is not what VCDS and a HEX-V2 supports; the question is what the car supports. If the car support changing something via the standard diagnostic API, then VCDS can do it (assuming of course that someone has figured out what needs to be done).

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the 7N platform, and much can depend on how the particular vehicle is equipped.

-Uwe-

Z06

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Thank you @Uwe for a quick reply. Indeed, the limitation is in the car and therefore I was wondering if 7N platform supports these tweaks. The reason is that I've already spent a lot of time (re)searching but couldn't find anyone who successfuly accessed the 09 - Central Electronics PQ35 module via security code. Examples:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...i-TT-faults-and-BCM-PQ35-security-access-code
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...Security-Codes-for-Cent-Elect-Security-Access
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1414-Security-code-31347-not-working

Since people mention that non-MQB platforms don't require security access / logic code for coding and adaptations, does this mean that the features from my original post won't be supported at all by the car? Given that other/older car platforms also use BCM PQ35 I was hoping to get more info or clues from this domain, because presumably someone has attempted similar things on non-MQB cars.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
- Fog lights are turned on automatically when high beams are in use (and also automatically switched off when low beams are activated)

Based on the regulation, the car is required to conform with, fog lights may not be permitted to be used in combination with high beams. That is why the PQ35 BCM has a setting which will deactivate the fog lights once you switch to high beams. The vice versa situation, you are referring to is not manufacturer approved and may not be legal in your country/region. Yes, the MQB BCM can be programmed in a lot of ways, this included.

- Adjusting auto-hold strength to lowest possible (quickest release)

MQB and 7N use completely different ESP/EPB systems and if I remember correctly, the MQB Auto-Hold uses the hydraulic brakes while the 7N Auto-Hold is applied via the actual EPB. So adjusting the strength is not really an option on the 7N.

- Mirror lights / puddle lights are turned on automatically when reverse gear is selected

Definitely a no for the PQ35 BCM and door control modules.

- Fog lights are turned on automatically when reverse gear is selected

Any chance you are confusing fog lights with turning lights? The latter can be activated in the PQ35 BCM once the reverse gear is engaged.

Z06

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
@Sebastian, this is a very detailed and informative answer, vielen Dank. It makes sense from regulatory perspective re: fog lights and high beams. Technically in stock config the combination of high beams + fog lights only works in manual mode (both required to be switched on manually, Light Assist doesn't work). There's one scenario in particular where I find this useful: winding roads in the woods where one frequently encounters wildlife - a bit of extra side visibility helps spotting the deer sooner.

When speaking about reverse gear I was referring to fog lights (I believe in Alhambra 7N fog light doubles as cornering light while in Sharan 7N there's a separate H7 Kurvenlicht bulb).

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
I believe this is appropriate topic for this...

Got engine ECU from Audi 100 C4 2.5tdi AAT. Bosch 0281001128, VAG 4A0907401 (2.5L R5 EDC A23 D49). Protocol: KW1281.
First try successfully connected it with VCDS Lite 1.2 shareware using 3rd part KKL cable, just to be sure I wired it correctly on the bench. Start baud 240.

gjaaB5Wl.png

Then tried the same with 19.1.2 beta + Hex-V2. Failed.
Not possible? Maybe it's limited to HEX-CAN and older?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If this thing really runs at 240 bits per second, then no, it's not supported by the HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

They don't go that slow; the divisor in the UART section of the microcontroller won't go that low.

-Uwe-

Back