Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exporting/Importing Vehicles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exporting/Importing Vehicles

So I fell in love with a motorcycle that was produced from 2008 to 2012. (don't want to start a 'they're brilliant/rubbish' thread; so non-specific for the moment.) Not many are available in the UK and there was a fine, unmodified one available on ebay USA. I tried to get the chap to allow shipping over here, but he didn't seem interested; citing lots of laws and hoops to jump through to ship a $10K+ vehicle.

Is that really so? I appreciate it's not an Amazon parcel, but with our sometimes archaic laws and statutes - it seems pretty simple from my end, releasing it from the dock is a couple of forms and yer pays ya tax. I would then have to go through all of the approval/registration stuff, but that's my headache.

A few of the American to UK shipping companies I found on the 'net would lift it from his front door, get it crated, containerised, to the docks and on the boat. Which again sounded relatively easy. Has anyone had experience of export?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been through it myself, but my understanding is export is trivial. In fact, a lot of cars leave the US if they need repairs that are not economical here.

Import into the US is extremely difficult, but that is not your concern here.
    Silence gives consent.

3. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have not seen him here in quite some time, but at one point the user PanEuropean had a motorcycle shipped to Europe. Not sure if that was truly an "export", since he shipped it to use himself over there. I have a fuzzy recollection that there's a thread on VWVortex about the experience, where he has the same username.

-Uwe-

PS: Now tell us what kind of bike this is!
    Last edited by Uwe; 02-01-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    PS: Now tell us what kind of bike this is!
    Ahh, well, a Harley Davidson Crossbones (FLSTSB).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    Ahh, well, a Harley Davidson Crossbones (FLSTSB).
    Certainly not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

As Benevolent Dictator here (and it says so right on the tin), I'll issue a warning: Anyone who tries to turn this into a 'they're brilliant/rubbish' thread will be summarily banished from the Bar.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    As Benevolent Dictator here (and it says so right on the tin), I'll issue a warning: Anyone who tries to turn this into a 'they're brilliant/rubbish' thread will be summarily banished from the Bar.
    As someone who has been known to start shit in the Politics thread from time to time, I'm fascinated to finally find out what it takes to get ejected from the Bar.
    Silence gives consent.

9. Likes Eric, Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, Santos liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.epa.gov/importing-exporting

EPA Requirements for Importers and Exporters
    Maybe this is helpful?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

11. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607, Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the cafe racers I've seen that started as Harley Davidson Crossbones. Charlie Stockwell has done some cool things with 'em.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dr. Z.

Follow up perspective from your location to consider options?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internat...ork-the-basics

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/temporary-admission
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

14. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jack. I suspect your first link explains his reluctance, as the ad said 'loud pipes'. But if people remove cats and such, how do they get them through the annual test? (Your equivalent of our MoT Test)

Anyway, machine now sold so that bubble has now burst.