GdB

Reaction score

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
There's somebody (Saber422 on Discord I think) having fully complete harnesses built out of China, but the QA on the first round was atrocious. Hearing the next round will hopefully be better. I've actually got comma themselves talked into making official J533 harnesses, but they're not quite ready for sale yet.

Longitiudinal control is my next major project, now that comma are back to investing more in longitudinal training for their model. I have an old test-mockup version that worked from about a year ago, but the vision model wasn't yet a clear win over stock ACC, so I never finished some things like transition in-and-out of standstill.

Reactions: GdB

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Got back to working on the MQB specific longitudinal control code.

Coupled with the latest end-to-end vision model, ignoring the stock ACC radar entirely, cool stuff becomes possible!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Coupled with the latest end-to-end vision model, ignoring the stock ACC radar entirely, cool stuff becomes possible!
Neat, but that particular situation, specifically the self-start at the intersection strikes me as needing more than just a forward-looking camera with a limited field of view because it will surely not see the occasional idiot who decided to run the yellow that just turned red on the perpendicular road...?

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Neat, but that particular situation, specifically the self-start at the intersection strikes me as needing more than just a forward-looking camera with a limited field of view because it will surely not see the occasional idiot who decided to run the yellow that just turned red on the perpendicular road...?
A valid question. The newer comma three has three cameras: forward narrow angle, forward wide angle, and reverse wide angle. The field of view for the forward and reverse wide cams actually overlap very slightly, so it sees all around. It can see cross traffic better than I can. Stoplines are still at "cool party trick" level of maturity, something you have to go way far out of your way to deliberately enable, but the limitations are training and model development, not FoV.

Here are the raw images from each, at that moment in time. They don't look as good as they should because it's night and HDR is disabled, bad pixel mapping is off, and my windshield is dirty AF.

Forward narrow:

XTE5JKa.png

Forward wide:

doItqyQ.png

Reverse wide:

BT8prb1.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The newer comma three has three cameras: forward narrow angle, forward wide angle, and reverse wide angle.
Ah. I suppose I incorrectly assumed that it was working only from the data displayed on its own screen that I could see in the video, which appears to be the "forward narrow"..?

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Ah. I suppose I incorrectly assumed that it was working only from the data displayed on its own screen that I could see in the video, which appears to be the "forward narrow"..?
Yeah, but the model drives on the view from both front cameras now. The intent is to actually drive with all three, to supplement the blindspot radars with a peek out the side windows, but that isn't happening yet.

A better FoV demo from the Tail of the Dragon -- front narrow vs front wide cam view of the same 60 seconds of driving. It sees around hairpins better than the driver can.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A better FoV demo from the Tail of the Dragon -- front narrow vs front wide cam view of the same 60 seconds of driving. It sees around hairpins better than the driver can.
How dependent is it on those nicely painted, highly visible lines?

You're probably too young (pun intended) to remember this 1976 arcade game:

But I bet OpenPilot could get a perfect score! :D

-Uwe-

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
How dependent is it on those nicely painted, highly visible lines?

You're probably too young (pun intended) to remember this 1976 arcade game:

But I bet OpenPilot could get a perfect score! :D

-Uwe-
I remember coding a Night Driver-esque game in BASIC during a summer computer class my school ran back in the early 80s. I thought it was cool until I tried to play it.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
This is a talk I gave at comma_con back at the end of July, the high-quality replay just went live on their channel. I explain how openpilot integrates into a car and how it gains support for new cars. Many of my examples are drawn from a Volkswagen world, but it's meant to apply to most modern cars.

Contains one stolen photo from the forum proprietor, meant to go with a dedicated slide about use of diagnostic tools like VCDS in CAN reverse engineering that had to be cut for time. Sorry. :(

Back