Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VW Eos 2007 -- Airbag module defective. Questions abound. Help pls!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kenovo View Post
    Do you think the side airbag faults could be or could have been related to the failed control module? Likely or unlikely?
    I have no real opinion.

As those faults are not flagged "Intermittent", if it were mine, I would investigate them. MBV 005..

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    I have no real opinion.

As those faults are not flagged "Intermittent", if it were mine, I would investigate them. MBV 005..

-Uwe-
    The pass. side is flagged as intermittent. What does MBV 005 mean?

Sorry, typo: MVB. Measuring Value Block.
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/m-blocks.php

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 01-30-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe,

If I connect an airbag module with the different index/color code and replace the side crash sensors with new ones that are compatible with the new module, will I then be able to code it and be on my merry way? Or do I absolutely have to match the original index/color code?

The technical bulletin states that this can be done in an example. [URL="https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/12632/vw.tb.69-08-01"]
    I'm linking the TB because it's a good resource to others who may encounter similar problems.

------
    Tip:
    If you find that additional fault codes are received after installing a new control module with a new part number
    and/or color code, additional components may also require replacement to match the new module-check for latest
    parts updates using VIN.

Example
    Initial fault received 00003; the technician replaces Control Module part number 1C0–909–605–F–004 with a
    Module part number 1C0–909–605–F–01E.
    New control module is installed and now DTCs 01221, 01222, 01738, or 1739 (side crash sensors-no or incorrect
    basic settings) is displayed.
    One possible cause could be the incorrect control module was installed.
    Another possible cause is the control module has been updated to a new software level (noted by the change in
    the part number and/or color code), in which case, the 1C0 909 605 F / 004 module is matched to crash sensors
    that have a color code of 02. The new module 1C0 909 605 F / 01E will not communicate properly with these
    crash sensors, and the crash sensors MUST also be replaced with update versions.
    ----

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I connect an airbag module with the different index/color code and replace the side crash sensors with new ones that are compatible with the new module, will I then be able to code it and be on my merry way? Or do I absolutely have to match the original index/color code?
    The index determines far more than just the side crash sensors. It also determines type and number of airbags various other configuration data for the SRS system. So getting a module with some arbitrary index is a bad idea because you won't know what other components are required to match it. The TSB you're referencing above was about two indexes that were compatible in every way except for the side crash sensors. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any any documentation for cross-compatibility of various components. Thus I can only recommend installing the proper replacement, which would include any factory superseded part. If there's a compatibility problem with a factory superseded part, there will be documentation what else needs to be replaced.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes kenovo, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Please comment on the part number (1Q0-959-655-B-01B) as a replacement for (1Q0-959-655-A-013) in the above link from vwpartscenter.net?
    1Q0 959 655 A 013 => 1Q0 959 655 A 074 => 1Q0 959 655 B 01B but better call dealer and confirm.

7. Likes Uwe, kenovo, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Val. The dealer is clueless. They told me there were no parts available and one may have to be "made" for me. They never even mentioned replacement part numbers. I got that from VWPartsCenter.net.

9. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to thank everyone (Uwe!! and Val) for their replies! It's been very helpful and encouraging to better understand the SRS airbag system. Without this forum I would have certainly bought a used part and failed to get it working, leading not only to frustration but also lost time and money. Thank you all for the good work you do and for the invaluable tools and platforms that you have created and continue to tirelessly curate. I admire the patience and commitment you show to those of us DIY drivers and wannabe auto-mechanics/techs. THANK YOU!

11. Likes Uwe, Fredrick Awuor, Bruce liked this post