VW Passat B7 -> Long Coding -> Change Location Issue

der-baron

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Posting for the first time from the UK, and hoping for a bit of guidance on switching the default KPH digital display to MPH.

I've read that in order to activate the Alt. Speed Display option (which will remove the KPH), and also add the (large) digital display, I have to do the following:

1. Select Control Module 17 “Instruments” in VAG-COM/VCDS
  2. Go to Long Coding
  3. Go to Byte 0 > Bit 4-7
  4. Change whatever location you have in there (Normally England/GB) to "Rest of World/Australia/etc."
  5. Click Exit and then DO IT
However, my garage say that they were not able to make the change; due to a "Coding error", when attempting to "DO IT!".

Someone has since informed me that as Long Coding is being changed, they may need to login to the module first.

My question is really if this is indeed the case, and if some definitive steps could be provided?

Thanks

Baz

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
To answer that question we'll need you to post a full unedited VCDS Auto-Scan so we can see exactly what hardware and software versions the modules in your car have.

der-baron

Reaction score
To answer that question we'll need you to post a full unedited VCDS Auto-Scan so we can see exactly what hardware and software versions the modules in your car have.

Far out, thanks for the reply.
I will get the garage to send over the Auto-Scan details in due course.

RichardS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=351800
Hi Chaps,

Posting for the first time from the UK, and hoping for a bit of guidance on switching the default KPH digital display to MPH.

I've read that in order to activate the Alt. Speed Display option (which will remove the KPH), and also add the (large) digital display, I have to do the following:

1. Select Control Module 17 “Instruments” in VAG-COM/VCDS
  2. Go to Long Coding
  3. Go to Byte 0 > Bit 4-7
  4. Change whatever location you have in there (Normally England/GB) to "Rest of World/Australia/etc."
  5. Click Exit and then DO IT
However, my garage say that they were not able to make the change; due to a "Coding error", when attempting to "DO IT!".

Someone has since informed me that as Long Coding is being changed, they may need to login to the module first.

My question is really if this is indeed the case, and if some definitive steps could be provided?

Thanks

Baz

Is that a VW dealer in the UK?

I asked the VW dealer where I bought my Amarok to enable Alt Speed Display, and even explained how to do it, but they replied that VW franchises are under specific instruction from VW in Germany not to make this change and, although many customers ask for the same change to be made, doing so could lose them their franchise so they would not. I've done it myself now. :)

Richard

der-baron

Reaction score
Is that a VW dealer in the UK?

I asked the VW dealer where I bought my Amarok to enable Alt Speed Display, and even explained how to do it, but they replied that VW franchises are under specific instruction from VW in Germany not to make this change and, although many customers ask for the same change to be made, doing so could lose them their franchise so they would not. I've done it myself now. :)

Richard

No, just my local garage; who have VCDS. I would have thought that any VW franchise would refuse to do it.

der-baron

Reaction score
Solved. Just come back from the garage, followed the same steps going through the module first and it worked like a charm. Got the extra menu options and now have the glorious large MPH display. Thanks.

Back