VW Passat 2008 TDI BKP engine

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I have the above none starter, I've been told to change the crankshaft sensor. After removing the water cooled oil filter housing I have gained access to the sensor, which is deeply recessed into the cylinder block. I have managed to put a 4 mm long Allen key into the bolt head and tried to turn it by hand but it seems to slip. Visual access with a mirror is limited and my eyesight focus ain't that good to make out exactly whether it is a torx or Allen key bolt head. I'm not even sure whether VW have a special tool designed for removing these sensors?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Fredrick Awuor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309834
I have the above none starter, I've been told to change the crankshaft sensor. After removing the water cooled oil filter housing I have gained access to the sensor, which is deeply recessed into the cylinder block. I have managed to put a 4 mm long Allen key into the bolt head and tried to turn it by hand but it seems to slip. Visual access with a mirror is limited and my eyesight focus ain't that good to make out exactly whether it is a torx or Allen key bolt head. I'm not even sure whether VW have a special tool designed for removing these sensors?

Hello,even though I haven't worked on this diesel motor,but most VW G28 senders are fastened by 5mm Allen keys,and you may need to remove debris that has settled inside the female screw head,and try VW T10058 or equivalent especially if it is at an angle ,I hope this helps

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
Hello,even though I haven't worked on this diesel motor,but most VW G28 senders are fastened by 5mm Allen keys,and you may need to remove debris that has settled inside the female screw head,and try VW T10058 or equivalent especially if it is at an angle ,I hope this helps

Thanks Frederick :)

Henrick

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
From my experience, in most cases the gearbox needs to come off...

DGMotors

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57532

Im sure it 4mm but the bolt sits at a funny angle, I had these before where they have been rounded off and gearbox removal was the only way to fix.

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Anwar, I don't always do what I'm told, I.E. meaning how have you validated the CPS is bad. If it was right in the open sure, but I would go upstream if I could, access the the signal with a scope and see if it is in fact, just my opinion, good luck.

LARIMORE

Gremling

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319714
Hi,
Did you figure this out yet?
It is a 4mm Allen key, just a bit difficult to access, but fully doable, but the VW tool -T10370- will help.
As far as I can recall, the oil filter bracket needs to be removed and oil cooler hoses needs to be removed, just remember to clamp off hoses.

Found this video on Youtube for you, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlWQBLROG0A see timestamp 1:07, and you can see the position for sensor.
Sensor bolt to be tightened to 5Nm

Hope this helps if issue still valid

Regards
Gremling

Back