Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant - There is a Difference!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Engine Coolant - There is a Difference!!

Engine Coolant - There is a Difference!!

The Volkswagen Group now has several different types of engine coolants and I suspect with time and the introduction of newer (electric vehicles?) this list will continue to grow.

The latest coolant that was added to the list is G12evo, introduced in the 2017 Audi A4 and R8, it is planned to be used in all Audi vehicles in the future.

If you are unsure as to what coolant your vehicle came with, check the owner's manual, it will typically have the type of coolant that is recommend and that was used during the Factory Coolant Fill.

Always use the proper coolant mixture with distilled water (recommended) to maintain the correct level of protection. Volkswagen recommends to test engine coolant with a Analog Refractometer (T10007B) to ensure the proper coolant concentration.

We have a handy chart you can print out and hang on your tool box or keep in your maintenance manual/insert as a reference to help avoid confusion and possible coolant contamination when servicing these vehicles.

Stay cool (less the smoke)

drpeter

2. Likes Uwe, Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having trouble understanding this chart, probably it's just my stupidity interfering. How is it OK or not recommended to mix some coolants, depending on how you read the chart? Green is OK but red is not OK, even though they are apparently same coolants mixing? Or does it have something to do with mixture ratio?

4. Likes Sebastian, PetrolDave, DrPeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It also has to do with the type of material made to construct the block and cylinder head. So where a design originally called for G10; you may 'upgrade' to a G12. However, if you're all aluminium, you can't go down the grades from, say, G12+ to G10.

6. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika_M View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding this chart, probably it's just my stupidity interfering. How is it OK or not recommended to mix some coolants, depending on how you read the chart? Green is OK but red is not OK, even though they are apparently same coolants mixing? Or does it have something to do with mixture ratio?

I have exactly the same confusion - which axis is the original coolant, and which is the coolant you want to top-up with

8. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    I have exactly the same confusion - which axis is the original coolant, and which is the coolant you want to top-up with
    Even that should not make any difference, since Yes should mean "Maybe mixed in any ratio without issues".

10. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even that should not make any difference
    If that is true then the values above the diagonal and below the diagonal should be identical - but they definitely are very different!

12. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    The way I read it is that you can mix or top off with any of the G12/G13 flavors, unless you have G11; don't ever mix G11 with the original G12. There's apparently some major incompatibility between G11 and the original (no suffix) G12.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

14. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    The way I read it is that you can mix or top off with any of the G12/G13 flavors, unless you have G11; don't ever mix G11 with the original G12. There's apparently some major incompatibility between G11 and the original (no suffix) G12.
    Yes, but what about those sections I circled red in post #2 ? They don't support that conclusion...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Left would seem to be what youre using, top is whats specified. You can use a newer spec coolant no problem, lower spec with some penalty’s, and absolutely no mixing when the factory coolant is either G11 or G12 and you want to refill with G12 or G11 respectively.
    Last edited by MasterTommy; 09-27-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    Current:
    2018 Tiguan AD Highline 2.0 BiTDI 240hp > Stage 1+ 328hp
    2016 Polo 6C Highline 1.0 TSI 105hp

17. Likes Uwe, DrPeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but what about those sections I circled red in post #2 ? They don't support that conclusion...
    Well, they don't "recommend" using a coolant older than the one that the car came with from the factory.

But the fact that mix a new coolant in with a car that came with older coolant tells me it's unlikely that anything really bad will happen if you mix them, even in a newer car.

I do have fuzzy recollections that mixing G11 with the original G12 was virtually certain to cause a big, sludgy mess.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

19. Likes DrPeter liked this post