Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ASAM/ROD updates through the USB utility

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    Won't this give you a complete cable route from your router in your house to your HN after you upgrade the garage:
    USB is only spec'd for five meters, and that's over shielded cable, not UTP. Anything longer than that requires an active extension, and those get more sketchy the further you go.

If you only have wired Ethernet, the most correct thing to do is buy a $25 access point, even if HEX-NET is the only client that will use it.

Jason

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I don't want to go into too much detail about what is being done there on the low level ...
    I understand there are components within HEX-NET you can't talk much about, for good and valid reasons, and that's fine.

So here's where we landed:

1) You do NOT need a computer to update the HEX-NET at this time. All regular updates are available OTA.

2) Aside from BL/CFB, if the USB and OTA upgrade processes don't agree, there is a bug and we should report it.

3) Under rare circumstances, in the distant unseen future, there is a non-zero chance that BL/CFB will need a one-off USB update.

Correct?

Jason
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 11-21-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added BL/CFB caveat to #2

4. Likes Yanping liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think that's essentially correct.

-Uwe-

6. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    USB is only spec'd for five meters, and that's over shielded cable, not UTP. Anything longer than that requires an active extension, and those get more sketchy the further you go.

If you only have wired Ethernet, the most correct thing to do is buy a $25 access point, even if HEX-NET is the only client that will use it.

Jason
    I was envisioning the USB cable+Adapter to be used from an RJ-45 jack in the garage that was only about 10 feet from the car being tested. However once he has Ethernet cabling all the way from his house to the garage, he could then use another Cat5 cable to the car, an Ethernet-to-USB adapter/converter, an USB gender changer, and the USB A to B cable. It would eliminate WiFi per his desire. The problem would be finding the best adapter/converter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    No one at Ross-Tech will confirm or deny except Shaun saying the USB utility does different things.
    Which is also a non answer.
    I think the Way of Things has been clearly stated now. OTA and USB updates are equal for everything we care about.

Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    So you and I are just theorizing, and HEX-NETs are going back in storage.
    If it makes you feel better, I scanned a UDS car today and now I'm stuck on the ROD update fail-boat with you.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    If it makes you feel better, I scanned a UDS car today and now I'm stuck on the ROD update fail-boat with you.
    Yes, that part is clearly not working as reliably as we'd like.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yes, that part is clearly not working as reliably as we'd like.
    With apologies to George Thorogood:

Ross-Tech will get me Mobile tomorrow, the next day, I don't know. That don't confront me, long as I get my wireless Desktop today.

Jason

11. Likes Eric liked this post