Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ASAM/ROD updates through the USB utility

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    "Except CFB and Boot" means one of these things is not like the other, or not as capable yet.
    Maybe. Step one of the adventure on this thread was figure out the intended design, because we didn't even know if we were looking at a bug. Now that we understand the design (whether or not we agree with it) we are in a better place.

I have only seen CFB and bootloader update once. I don't know what CFB does for us, but the bootloader was presumably updated in service of the USB updater tool. Given the low update frequency, irrelevance to OTA users, and the possibility of RMA-level oopsies when updating the bootloader, I don't really blame them for leaving it alone OTA at this time.

Got that corn cob soaking in kerosene don't ya Jason ?
    No, but I've got some Honey-Nut Cheerios here ready to go!

Pretty sure I know which lamp post to park next to at the grocery store to get a stable enough connection to VCDS-Cloud... <sigh>
    Er... do you really not have WiFi in your garage at home? Don't you have a WiFi camera in there?

Jason

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Er... do you really not have WiFi in your garage at home? Don't you have a WiFi camera in there?
    I do, but it runs through 2 bridges and everything hides behind a single MAC address.
    Works fine for hardwired camera and temperature sensor but nothing else.

Can't get close enough, even with OBD extenders, to get a decent signal from the house

If only HN had an RJ45 port... LOL

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

Post Thanks / Like
    I do, but it runs through 2 bridges and everything hides behind a single MAC address.
    Works fine for hardwired camera and temperature sensor but nothing else.

Can't get close enough, even with OBD extenders, to get a decent signal from the house

What about one from column A: http://tinyurl.com/oxv8esh maybe this one http://tinyurl.com/pbbscnc

and/or one from column B: http://tinyurl.com/q6gy5me
    Last edited by romad; 11-20-2014 at 10:02 AM.

4. Likes jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Actually, that was my original concept for it -- RJ45 ethernet and WiFi, no USB. However, the hardware people weren't keen on that.

-Uwe-

6. Likes jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    What about one from column A: http://tinyurl.com/oxv8esh maybe this one http://tinyurl.com/pbbscnc

and/or one from column B: http://tinyurl.com/q6gy5me
    That probably wouldn't catch on fire, but unless HN has a USB OTG (host-mode) stack and a USB Ethernet driver and some means to configure a second interface, it's unlikely to do anything.

Jason

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    That probably wouldn't catch on fire, but unless HN has a USB OTG (host-mode) stack and a USB Ethernet driver and some means to configure a second interface, it's unlikely to do anything.

Jason
    Ehhhh.... I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
    Where there's gender benders, a cable can be devised.

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Actually, that was my original concept for it -- RJ45 ethernet and WiFi, no USB. However, the hardware people weren't keen on that.

-Uwe-
    Why would you design something that uses standards when you can use an ever changing, low bandwidth, driver riddled contrapticon ?

Now turn off your brain, put on your "Java is Wunnerful, Let's All Crash and Be Insecure!" dance party album and sing along like a good little sheeple.... <sigh>

Post Thanks / Like
    Ehhhh.... I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
    Where there's gender benders, a cable can be devised.
    Like using this connector and a standard USB A to USB B cable. It looks like the data lines will go through but not power, however the HN gets power from the OBDII port right?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    Like using this connector and a standard USB A to USB B cable. It looks like the data lines will go through but not power, however the HN gets power from the OBDII port right?
    It wouldn't buy us anything.

I want ethernet, real ethernet like my Mac and everything else in the house is plugged into, instead of USB.
    The only thing on WhyFi here is my iPhone, HEX-NET, and the link to the garage.
    The garage will be replaced by cables in the next place in the Spring... I despise WhyFi.
    Last edited by jakematic; 11-20-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: grammatical and formatting

Post Thanks / Like
    Won't this give you a complete cable route from your router in your house to your HN after you upgrade the garage:

Step 1: Plug the ETHERNET to USB A Female adapter into an RJ-45 jack in your garage.
    Step 2: Plug the Male USB A end on the cable (included with the HN) into the Female USB A port on the adapter used in Step 1 above.
    Step 3: Plug the Male USB B end on the cable used in Step 2 above into the Female USB B port on the HN.

True, it isn't 100% Cat 5e Ethernet cable, but it eliminates WiFi. You might even be able to use a long Cat 5e cable and an RJ-45 coupler for an interim cable connection from an R-45 port in your house to your garage; just coil it up when not in use.
    Last edited by romad; 11-20-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Clarification