Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My MKV intermittent heat and coolant loss issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the cooler, haven't had time to check that, but i drive this car so rarely.
    Car starts so good when cold, and even better when warm. Coolant loss is occasional.

I was able to find a store who sells gas leak detector and I'm going to order one to see. If that shows bad result i will connect out the EGR-cooler.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    No the 8v don't suffer the same head cracking problem.
    Just on the subject of EGR coolers, even when faulty they will not result in a loss of interior heating temperature...... Unless you have no water/coolant in the system at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any more suggestions for me?

As you may have understand that engine side isn't that strong as electrical.
    Can a faulty head/gasket still make this problem, i was in understanding, that faulty head/gasket makes engine overheat.
    That has never happened in period, when i have owned this car.

Also i don't think it's problem with climatronic. Some cars did have this problem with climatic, that they wouldn't blow heat, but when setting dial from High to Low and back to high again, it would start heating again, mine doesn't. Plus, why does heat disappear on heavy accelerating.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked the recirculation into the coolant tank? Remove the small pipe at the top of the tank, it should flow at idle and then increase in pressure in relation to the rpm?
    Without physically seeing a car it's hard to narrow down faults so quick. But yes a head gasket failure can cause the issues you are having aswell as other symptoms.
    If you drive the car until it is up to operating temperature then go out and slacken the cap on the tank do you get a huge blow of pressure like an airlock release??

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't checked the return-flow. But i will tomorrow maybe.

But i did make video about opening the cap.

First one is when i had driven this car aprox. 15km(~10mi) from home to town. Temp gauge showed 90C.
    Don't mind the plastic tube next to coolant tank. It's for webasto.

The second is little less driven. 13km maybe. From town back to home.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's quite a bit of pressure in the bottle, even when you compare the level after the pressure has been released! Would seem quite like a gasket issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    But i did make video about opening the cap.
    - If the temperature was at 90°C, there would be quite a bit of pressure due to the normal expansion of the coolant, so that maybe normal amount of pressure.

- What is interesting, is that 'gurgling noise' after the cap is removed (0:14sec 2nd video), as if there is air trapped in the cooling system or being introduced into the cooling system.

- Does the coolant bubble when the cap is off with the engine running at normal operating temperature?

- I believe the "combustion gas leak detector" will be the determining factor if you have a failed head gasket or a cracked cylinder head.

- By the way, was there sufficient coolant flowing back into the expansion tank?

- You can test the circulation by watching the small coolant return hose dump coolant back into the coolant bottle. If it stops or there is no coolant, the system is low on coolant(air bound) or there could be a concern with the water pump, increasing engine speed maybe necessary and this test is done at idle.

drpeter

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you guessed it.

CO2 test failed. , also the guy from our local vwclub got his problem fixed with gasket change and for some reason the valves and valve guides needed to be changed.

Anyways my mechanic called 2h ago and said head is off, camshaft and hydraulic tappets are in good shape.

Usually i like to do these stuff myself, but at the moment it seemed cheaper considering my own time cost.

I should get some shots of gasket tomorrow and get the car up and running by the end of the week, hoping all the parts are in stock.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear!! I've had quite an interest in these recently , as I have had a few and they seem to blow between cylinders 2 and 3, but I put this down to excessive heat, not using the correct amount of coolant/antifreeze in the sytstem causing it to "boil" the water putting more strain on the system.

Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes Uwe liked this post