Thread: Help an Audi owner who's car was totalled by the shop

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Help an Audi owner who's car was totalled by the shop

Some of you guys may have heard about this story already as it has made national news, but in summary, a good friend of mine took his S4 for performance upgrades to a very well known/reputable shop in Orlando. The mechanic totaled the car during the test drive, was cited for illegal U-turn, and another car was totaled as well. The shop told the owner "sorry, sucks for you, we don't have insurance, this is on you." Here is the news story link:

Jalopnik article: https://jalopnik.com/florida-shop-cr...sur-1830574423
    News story: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/in...bTJO2tY8-ZN-yo

ANYWAY, what does this have to do with Ross Tech? My friend is going to have to pursue legal action against the shop, and needs to know if there is any way to datalog what the car was doing at the time of the accident. I am pretty sure you can't but maybe you gurus can help out this guy and find a way to look back and document what they were doing to his car on the test drive.

2. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What you're asking about is "Crash Data". It exists in the airbag module, but VAG guards that carefully; their dealer tool can't pull it either, and we've never gotten our hands on a tool that had this capability.

That said, it couldn't hurt to pull an auto-scan. There might be some clues in there.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes DrPeter, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It can be done as said. There was an incident in the UK a couple of years ago where a driver crashed a Skoda I believe at ~140mph into the back of the lorry. He had been on the phone to the police saying the accelerator was stuck on etc, brakes didn’t work, but data recovered from the car showed that actually the driver had his foot flat to the floor on the accelerator, no braking at all. I expect this information can be recovered with police intervention

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinopower View Post
    It can be done as said. There was an incident in the UK a couple of years ago where a driver crashed a Skoda I believe at ~140mph into the back of the lorry. He had been on the phone to the police saying the accelerator was stuck on etc, brakes didn’t work, but data recovered from the car showed that actually the driver had his foot flat to the floor on the accelerator, no braking at all. I expect this information can be recovered with police intervention
    I would suppose a case like this, where there potential product-liability questions involved, VAG would be cooperative in extracting the data.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, that is really interesting about the airbag crash data. I can't imagine VAG would help recover the crash data for an incident as insignificant as this one. Too bad, it would be great to document additional negligence by the driver if it showed excessive speeding,swerving,etc). This is why I have a dash cam in my S5.

8. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Sometimes there is enough information in the Auto-Scan that you can see the event's time/date, mileage and maybe if you are lucky you can see the km/h, usually found in the engine fault codes.

For example, I just bought a crashed Allroad, the only thing I can see with a scan tool (VCDS or factory tool) is the freeze frame data.

In my case the event happened on Date: 2018.10.25 at Time: 20:27:40 with a Vehicle speed: 17 km/h. I trust the date and time, but I think the damage is more than what 17 km/h would cause.

HOWEVER, the 'Freeze Frame' information is NOT an exact science, it can be deemed somewhat reliable but not 100% guaranteed and will never be able to replace the industry standard "Crash Data".

In Engine controller:
    Code:
    4698 - Function Restriction due to Faults in Other Modules 
              U1113 00 [036] - -
              Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Status: 00000001
                        Fault Priority: 6
                        Fault Frequency: 1
                        Mileage: 82599 km
                        Date: 2018.10.25
                        Time: 20:27:40

Engine speed: 501.50 /min
                        Normed load value: 47.1 %
                        Vehicle speed: 17 km/h
                        Coolant temperature: 79 C
                        Intake air temperature: 18 C
                        Ambient air pressure: 980 mbar
                        Voltage terminal 30: 12.486 V
                        Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
                        Median injection timing: 0.000 ms
                        Engine operating condition: Enrichment
                        Engine operating condition-Test_Program_Channel 87: 8

5595 - Crash Shut-Down Activated 
              P1609 00 [039] - -
              Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Priority: 2
                        Fault Frequency: 1

In Airbag controller:
    Code:
    9447424 - Front crash data stored 
              B1028 00 [137] -  - 
              MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
                 Freeze Frame:
                        Fault Priority: 0
                        Fault Frequency: 2
    Hope this help,

... and when fixed up, it is getting a dash cam (maybe front and rear)

drpeter

10. Likes Eric, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Four or five years ago, I did a bit of 'home research' on this topic; and Bosch have a device that can recover the data from their Airbag controllers. (Other manufacturers make Airbag components for VAG - TRW being another one). It was horrendously expensive, but the data recovery devices do exist.

12. Likes DrPeter, Uwe liked this post