Key programming

invernesspl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345478
Hello,

I've recently purchased Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 interface from Gendan, I've not had chance to test or use it yet! However, I've just had to buy a new key for my grandmothers 2007 VW Polo after she lost her keys, I purchased a genuine key from TPS so I presume it comes part programmed? Will I need the VCDS to programme the key to the car and is it straight forward? (she lives a 2 hour drive away so I want to make sure I will be able to do it!)

Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Unlikely.

Even a properly "pre-programmed" key still needs to be matched to the car, and 2007 on generally uses a challenge/response mechanism where the challenge changes with every ignition cycle and only the mothership's servers know how to generate the requiset response from the challenge. On the off chance that the 2007 Polo does not yet use this scheme, you would still need a security code ("PIN") to match the key.

-Uwe-

grant@gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS should allow you to match the Keyfob Remote signals to the car - for central locking buttons on the remote.

As Uwe described, to match the key to the immobiliser (to allow the Engine to start), you will need to get this done at a dealer or get access to the 7-digit SKC (Secret Key Code) for the car. This link explains in more detail:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
we don't know what car we are talking about here. I took for granted that VCDS CANNOT teach keyfobs. if it did, I would really like to know how, on MQB cars.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
we don't know what car we are talking about here.
The OP specifically mentioned a 2007 VW Polo. ;)

I took for granted that VCDS CANNOT teach keyfobs. if it did, I would really like to know how, on MQB cars.
Every MQB we've had in our fleet has had Kessy, and those are definitely no-go, but I'm not sure about keyfobs on non-Kessy cars like yours.

-Uwe-

Davor Sule

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282324
The OP specifically mentioned a 2007 VW Polo. ;)

Every MQB we've had in our fleet has had Kessy, and those are definitely no-go, but I'm not sure about keyfobs on non-Kessy cars like yours.

-Uwe-
Hi,
I'm interested in this and want to try to add new key to IMMO 4 AUDI A3 2004. If I understand good enough how vcds works, with vcds is possibile to programm and match new key to immo if I have pin for security access?
I read this guide:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm interested in this and want to try to add new key to IMMO 4 AUDI A3 2004.
I think it is possible on that car if the cluster and ECU are properly matched to begin with and you have the immobilizer PIN code (which might be 5 digits, not just 4). However, there may also be some pre-matching of the transponder necessary? I'm not sure. Maybe @Jetta 97 knows more?

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
If your willing to invest and have a go, Super VAG + CAN diagnostics might help you out! I bought one a few years back when I was working on a Transporter that the customer had not got the security details of. The Super VAG + CAN will read the ECU codes that are in them but will not program codes back in. Therefore if you have both Super VAG + CAN and VCDS you MIGHT be in with a chance!

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I think it is possible on that car if the cluster and ECU are properly matched to begin with and you have the immobilizer PIN code (which might be 5 digits, not just 4). However, there may also be some pre-matching of the transponder necessary? I'm not sure. Maybe @Jetta 97 knows more?

-Uwe-
Uwe,
Correct , VCDS can program key on this car if you have SKC(Pin) and key is precode to car .

Reactions: Uwe

Davor Sule

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282324
Uwe,
Correct , VCDS can program key on this car if you have SKC(Pin) and key is precode to car .

So, it isn't enough to have new clear key and IMMO PIN. I must precode key with odis or other key programming tool like AVDI?

Last edited:

T.Green

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427284
Yes need to be precoded but not with odis , other immobilizer tools.
Bump ole thread sorry

Changed my battery in fob today and now can’t unlock lock with it.
Transponder still works with blade when I start the car but I cannot use the remote anymore since this key was previously coded to the car can I save the original state back to the remote with VCDS I have been in section 46 trying and getting knowhere

nsacodificadas

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=553611
Bump ole thread sorry

Changed my battery in fob today and now can’t unlock lock with it.
Transponder still works with blade when I start the car but I cannot use the remote anymore since this key was previously coded to the car can I save the original state back to the remote with VCDS I have been in section 46 trying and getting knowhere
What car is it?
If you have not yet deleted the controls in module 46, you can try to synchronize it by placing the key in switch ON and pressing the buttons until you get a response from the lock.

T.Green

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=427284
What car is it?
If you have not yet deleted the controls in module 46, you can try to synchronize it by placing the key in switch ON and pressing the buttons until you get a response from the lock.
Sorry posted in to much haste it’s a Vw golf Mk 5 2004 2.0 TDI bkd engine I have already deleted the controls as I tried your above suggestion already to get no luck

Back