Thread: Key programming

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Key programming

Hello,

I've recently purchased Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 interface from Gendan, I've not had chance to test or use it yet! However, I've just had to buy a new key for my grandmothers 2007 VW Polo after she lost her keys, I purchased a genuine key from TPS so I presume it comes part programmed? Will I need the VCDS to programme the key to the car and is it straight forward? (she lives a 2 hour drive away so I want to make sure I will be able to do it!)

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Unlikely.

Even a properly "pre-programmed" key still needs to be matched to the car, and 2007 on generally uses a challenge/response mechanism where the challenge changes with every ignition cycle and only the mothership's servers know how to generate the requiset response from the challenge. On the off chance that the 2007 Polo does not yet use this scheme, you would still need a security code ("PIN") to match the key.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes grant@gendan liked this post
    VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    VCDS should allow you to match the Keyfob Remote signals to the car - for central locking buttons on the remote.

As Uwe described, to match the key to the immobiliser (to allow the Engine to start), you will need to get this done at a dealer or get access to the 7-digit SKC (Secret Key Code) for the car. This link explains in more detail:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    we don't know what car we are talking about here. I took for granted that VCDS CANNOT teach keyfobs. if it did, I would really like to know how, on MQB cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    we don't know what car we are talking about here.
    The OP specifically mentioned a 2007 VW Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    I took for granted that VCDS CANNOT teach keyfobs. if it did, I would really like to know how, on MQB cars.
    Every MQB we've had in our fleet has had Kessy, and those are definitely no-go, but I'm not sure about keyfobs on non-Kessy cars like yours.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.