Thread: VW Jetta 2003 GLI (24v VR6) intermittent hard start, and electrical oddities

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like

VW Jetta 2003 GLI (24v VR6) intermittent hard start, and electrical oddities

First post, but trying to meet the info standards hope this is enough info for at least some feedback ideas.

Car has over 200k and is mostly stock other than aftermarket radio, but kline is good, not concerned about that error in the auto scan. Also, interested in locking to some degree, but right rear is "stuck" often so I'm not surprised if it doesn't know what state that door is in. Runs really well most of the time still. Here's the log, and below is the info on what is going on.

Step 3 "VCDS" COMPLETE Auto-Scan in code tags!
    Code:
    VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
    Wednesday, 09 January 2019, 17:18:05:23266

Chassis Type: 9M - VW Jetta IV
    Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,16,17,19,22,29,35,36,37,39,46,47,55,56,57,75,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 01: Engine       Labels: 022-906-032-BDF.LBL
       Controller: 022 906 032 CS
       Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G   0005
       Coding: 00032
       Shop #: WSC 00066
       VCID: 5ECF4799C92F
       3VWVH69M73M1xxxxx     VWZ7Z0B5958766
    No fault code found.
    Readiness: 0110 1101

Address 03: ABS Brakes       Labels: None
       Controller: 1C0 907 379 M
       Component: ESP FRONT MK60      0102
       Coding: 0019970
       Shop #: WSC 00028
       VCID: 341BC5311723
    2 Faults Found:
    00668 -  Supply Voltage Terminal 30
                008 -  Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    01314 -  Engine Control Module
                013 -  Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

Address 15: Airbags       Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.LBL
       Controller: 1C0 909 605 F
       Component: 04 AIRBAG VW61 0202 0001
       Coding: 12340
       VCID: 2721227DD6F5
    1 Fault Found:
    00532 -  Supply Voltage B+
                07-10 -  Signal too Low - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments       Labels: 1J0-920-xx5-17.LBL
       Controller: 1J0 920 906 J
       Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V64
       Coding: 07234
       Shop #: WSC 00000
       VCID: 2F11CA5DFE05
       3VWVH69M73M1xxxx     VWZ7Z0B5958766
    2 Faults Found:
    01316 -  ABS Control Module
                49-10 -  No Communications - Intermittent
    01304 -  Radio
                49-00 -  No Communications

Address 19: CAN Gateway       Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.LBL
       Controller: 6N0 909 901 
       Component: Gateway K<->CAN    0001
       Coding: 00006
       VCID: F0938921A3BB
    2 Faults Found:
    01316 -  ABS Control Module
                49-10 -  No Communications - Intermittent
    01304 -  Radio
                49-00 -  No Communications

Address 46: Central Conv.       Labels: 1C0-959-799.LBL
       Controller: 1C0 959 799 C
       Component: 1H KomfortgerŠt HLO 0003
       Coding: 00258
       VCID: 3701F23D0655
    6 Faults Found:
    01330 -  Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
                53-10 -  Supply Voltage Too Low - Intermittent
    00928 -  Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
                54-10 -  Incorrectly Equipped - Intermittent
    00929 -  Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Passenger Side (F221)
    00930 -  Locking Module for Central Locking; Rear Left (F222)
    00931 -  Locking Module for Central Locking; Rear Right (F223)
    00931 -  Locking Module for Central Locking; Rear Right (F223)
                27-10 -  Implausible Signal - Intermittent

End   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a hard start that would occur intermittently where it would crank for maybe twice as long as previously before starting. it also sounded like some relays were clicking like not enough voltage to hold them, wasn't sure if this was steering wheel or under dash. One start ABS traction control lights were on and brake warning light was flashing, but no issues driving, and did not recur.

It eventually got more frequent and worse and the battery was reading low voltage of 11.7v. Replaced the battery and checked voltage with power car on to see if alternator was good, and it was (14v)

Car worked for a little, then issue came back, took it to a shop to look at it their diagnostics said relay, but when they replaced the relay and took it for a spin throttle body would not adapt.
    mechanic said ECU or wiring harness was the issue as he tried other throttle bodies and they wouldn't adapt either. After this trip to the shop there was also a code for MAF voltage high and it wouldn't catch an idle. EPC and traction control lights were on whenever these were on the car would die at idle.

I removed the battery cleaned up the grounds looked for any obvious issues, didn't see anything. Drove again, good for half a mile then lights came back and it would stall if I pushed in the clutch again. Codes from my OBD2 scanner were: p0103 p0507 p1143

At this point I was about to give up, but instead saw and ecu for $150 and decided to buy VCDS to adapt it as well as confirm issues more than a standard OBD scan tool.

Now that i have the VCDS I adapted the throttle body following the procedure and took it for a spin. So far so good, no hard start, and driving about 3 miles wasn't an issue. I thought I'd post here to see if what shows up looks familiar to anyone or if there is something more I should check before it comes back. Obviously if there is an issue I'll update this thread and note if there are any scan changes. The intermittents low voltages look like it can be ignored per the help pages, but with all the other background I'm still convinced something is wrong and will come back again once I drive some more. Is there anything common between these I should look at or some specific tests to run to help track it down?

Thanks!

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the VCDS forum OP!

Most likely a consumer is shorting intermittent like an OXS heater.

Check for brake light switch recall?

Is the Brake fluid topped up?

Is the MAF OEM genuine and correct part number?

Does fuel pump prime when opening the drivers door?

Did you Install a fresh battery and alternator at that age to insure consistency?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes ImCoKeMaN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Clear out all those fault codes; who knows how long they've been hanging around. The scan periodically to see what (if anything) comes back, and scan immediately if you have another hard start.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes Jack@European_Parts, ImCoKeMaN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Log the IAT & ECT sensors when the car is cold if a hard start occurs too.

If you suspect a heater for OXS being bad unplug OXS sensors to isolate.

Install low 1-2 amp fuses on both sides of heater circuits in this car is advised to save ECU from damage!
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Welcome to the VCDS forum OP!
    Thanks!

Most likely a consumer is shorting intermittent like an OXS heater.
    These were replaced ~15k ago, wires don't appear shorted by exhaust, but this might be a good spot to check more thoroughly.

Check for brake light switch recall?
    is this the site to check: https://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/
    Results for your
    2003 JETTA GLI, 4 DOOR, 6-SPD MANUAL
    Recalls:
    There are currently no Recalls listed for your vehicle.

Is the Brake fluid topped up?
    checked, wasn't below low, but topped anyway

Is the MAF OEM genuine and correct part number?
    Believe so, has not been touched at least since I purchased car ~18k ago.

Does fuel pump prime when opening the drivers door?
    Yes

Did you Install a fresh battery and alternator at that age to insure consistency?
    Yes to battery, didn't do an alternator as it was checking good was sort of curious if it could have an intermittent issue though.

I will clear out those codes, and pull another scan if it comes back.

Where would I install the fuses? blade fuses already somewhere, or solder something inline?

Car ran well today, and the ebay ECU arrived, but thinking at this point it's not worth installing as it adds another variable more than removes one is my thought now that it is running again.

It's looking like a wait and see as it will likely co. Best case cleaning the grounds fixed it, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the ideas!!

Post Thanks / Like
    10-4

Fuses can be added to the heater circuits any place you choose but to keep the harness intact and OEM you could do it in the black cover box under car at OXS sensors independently.

Heater circuits are usually all white for Bosch for ground and hot but you should always use the WD and the pin locations.

Grounds under the battery platform are always a mess in this car chassis.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far only 60 miles or so, but a decent number of starts. No issues yet, but I think it's gone this long before.