Thread: OBD lock againt car theft

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

OBD lock againt car theft

I've just read that duplicating car keys using some "manufacturer tool" connected to the OBD port is getting quite popular here for car theft.
    was looking into getting a lock or some gizmo that would stall or prevent a thief from doing so - something like this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/323407812862
    i also found an actual lock connecting to the obd port, but it is quite expensive (169 gbp) .

does anyone here have any experience with such a tool?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How about just hiding a simple, DPDT switch under the dash that disconnects the CAN-H and CAN-L lines between the Gateway and the OBD-II port?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like this idea thanks . is there an "elegant" way of doing this , without cutting original car's wires?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best way to do this, is by cutting wires and hidding them in original wiring.
    I'm doing it from time to time, in my workshop.
    I'm using connector hidden somewhere in car, to connect pairs of wires. Orignial OBD stays where it should be, and its not so easy to find that.

PS. Around 10 years ago i read article and saw photos of driver doors, where was hole cut by thiefs so they can acces CAN wiries

5. Likes tomer liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    This what i fit to my clients vehicles. Works great and even main dealers can not access it. https://www.obdportector.com/
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

7. Likes tomer liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    i looked into obdprotector , unfortunately they don't ship to israel . thanks for the ideas

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    a car locksmith just told me that it is basically impossible to duplicate VAG keys for 2016 models, without original key from the manufacturer and additional programming. is that really accurate?