2013 A6 Allroad 4G C7 - xenon retrofit

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Yep - 100% confirmed here - I spent some time stripping A-pillar and B-pillar trim looking for the seat belt tensioner, but when you get that far in its only a few moments to lift the rear seat and see a way to run the small loom with the 2-pins for CAN connectivity.

So here's where it gets more interesting. Kufatec instruction say to connect to pins 02 and 18 on the J533 plug, but on this car those pins are vacant. The loom is supplied with bare wire ends to splice into vehicle loom at those pins - they are not connectorised. Pins 02 and 18 are correct according to OE wiring diagrams.

So now I wonder how/why (if) this car doesn't have seat belt tensioners - is that not a standard feature for all markets - never looked for them on VCDS to be honest ?

Then I am wondering, if my J533 doesn't have factory wiring for the extended CAN bus, do I have the right variant of J533 to talk to the AHLS controller (once its coded correctly) ?

Part number is 4G5 907 468A with h/w and s/w codes 0028 and H10.

I am looking through schematics now to verify if the loom colours on my J533 plug align with other expected stuff.

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
can't help with part no. but if your gateway j533 have those pins physically then it does have extended can otherwise no

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
So the wire colours and pin-out at J533 all check out fine with the OE diagrams - with the exception of pins 2 & 18 for the extended CAN bus which are strangely absent. This wagon is not equipped with J745, J769, J844, J852 or J853 for the plethora of extra options seemingly used by this bus.

If I had the right pins, I would just connect them but sadly no - I need to track down the right ones - do have a box of some leftover pins from other jobs so I might get lucky if I can find the box (doh).

From the factory, all it needed this bus for was J854 & J855 - the front seat belt tension controllers (assuming they are standard items) - so I am wondering have J854 & J855 been wired to a different bus in the factory with a lesser variant of the CAN gateway because it doesn't have all these extra frilly options.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
So now it gets interesting - I see there are at least two other variants of the CAN gateway purporting to support the extended bus -

4G0907468E
4G0907468G

More digging ;-)

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
mine is 4G0907468AA and i have the ext CAN. J854/855 are the standard seat belt system, not the pre crash system that tighten the belts up before hand. Standard belts dont have CAN wires going to them, only the 2 pin trigger connection. Suggest you have a look at the module and check its pins.

Ive had a look on etka and your gateway is specific to the allroad and its the basic one. Its PR code does support headlight range control so maybe you could add a 'extrended can' option in the module 19 list and see if it accepts the code.

Last edited:

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Thanks morski - that's a great idea to try coding J533 as if it has extended CAN and see if its happy - will it throw a fault code if it then sees that bus sitting open ?

Pretty sure all the literature I have on J854/J855 mentions pre-tension function - the module is well hidden behind the air duct that goes up to the vent at top of the B-pillar so I need to remove that next to see what plugs are used down there.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
I found the OE schematics that do indeed show J854/855 as part of the 'airbag system' diagrams - there is a four pin plug with 12V, 0V CANH & CANL on each module. There is a separate 2-pin plug for the igniter circuit. So this wagon must have J854/855 connected to a different bus.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Just unwound some tape at the J533 connector and there are four connections factory spliced and taped there so further investigation is going to be required. Its always the unexpected stuff that causes these kind of delays.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
On further investigation - a few interesting findings:

1. The different coloured tape on the loom seems to be a colour coding in the factory for where the existing CAN wire pairs attach to the J533 plug.

2. The seat belt module only has 2 x 2-pin connectors - no sign of the 4-pin CAN equipped plug - this tensioner malarkey must not apply to standard RHD models after all.

3. The OE wiring diagrams and supporting info with location info for fuses and such is wrong in so many places - sometimes left means left and sometimes left means driver side. And the fuse numbers are wrong for RHD - you have to transpose everything and check almost every step. The charts also say that SC fuses are protected permanent 12V (T30) but thats wrong - this rail is only active when ignition is ON - its actually protected by SB fuses on UK right side. I found a spare fuse slot (SB3@ST1) on UK right side which is protected T15 - reserved for the silly OE "sound generator" this wagon will never have. I had to discover all that as the OE location for powering the J431 module is T17g (blue plug at bottom of driver side A-pillar) but this is not wired up - nor is the SC8 fuse which is actually on wrong (UK passenger) side for this.

4. I looked at coding for the CAN gateway (Address 19 - J533) and there is no clue provided on how to try enabling it for extended CAN bus. Anybody know the right codes to try ?

Finally - a new problem - I turned on the ignition at one stage with the CAN gateway unplugged (simply forgot I had opened the plug for investigation) - turned ignition off and replugged it. Now the wagon is complaining about a completely fresh fault with air suspension and it doesn't clear which is giving me mild heart failure. Anybody know the right steps to flush gremlins from that as I assume there are knock-on fault codes stored in ABS and other places which stop this fault clearing ????

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
I cleared faults on the ABS, turned car off, locked it and was able to permanently clear the air suspension fault on the next visit. So thats the ambulance cancelled !

I had a look at installed modules on the CAN gateway and sure enough the seat-belt tensioners are not present (address 8F and 90). Do I just enable the check-box for address 55 to tell the gateway about the presence of headlight controller - will it go looking on the EXT bus ?

I have new connector pins ordered to add in the EXT bus pins - then we'll see what happens. meantime I can refit all the trim and just add the new CAN bus wires under the seat when they arrive.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
I just tried adding the headlight controller at address 55 into the CAN gateway installation list and got an 'ERROR 31 out of range' response - is that because the gateway needs to talk with the new module before it confirms happy - or do I need to change CODING on the gateway before it allows me to add anything on the EXT bus ?

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Pretty sure out of range means that your controller is not compatible. Even when you add a code to a module if the module is compatible it will accept it and throw up other error codes.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Yeah that figures. A bit of googling found this one that will work - others are certainly viable, but would be great to find a reference of the main contenders:

Part No SW: 4G0 907 468 E HW: 4G0 907 468 A
Component: J533--Gateway H08 0213

So... I can easy find of those on auction sites for OK money, but is there any particular procedure to pay attention to when swapping over to another CAN gateway - is it just a matter of matching up the CODING and INSTALLATION LIST or something more painful ?

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
So I've rolled the dice on a 2nd hand CAN gateway as above and will take extra care with coding when it arrives to avoid any disasters. I also sourced some fusebox pins of the right size for the mini fuse SB3 @ ST1 - the terminal provided on the Kufatec loom is only suitable for the normal sized fuses and there isn't a spare location available that size. No point in lashing up a quick alternative as I am also waiting for new pins for the CAN gateway plug as well.

Almost £1k of parts for the conversion to get this far and held up by a handful of stupid pins just to make everything legal (UK regulations mean that cars with variable height and xenon lights need to have beam patterns that are height adjustable).

Well I suppose thats what the forum is for - my delays will help the next guy do it better/faster (and with less posts) ;-)

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I cannot add clarity to the PR-Codes associated with 8F-Pretens. Frt Left (J854) and 90-Pretens. Frt Right (J855) but the 2012 NAR (4G) Ross-Tech A6 has them:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?4736-DTCs-Guinness-Record&p=45818&viewfull=1#post45818

There may be a SSP that I could refer to ..... however it won't directly help with the extended data-bus problem. I'll report back if I have any additional coding/adaptation suggestions for your existing 19 module.

P.S. On the 09-BCM1 front, we have the 4H0-907-063-V2 label pretty well sorted at this point so I'll be able to get those contributions you made for 4H0-907-063-V1 (in addition to MVBs and similar) added next.

P.P.S. I subscribed to this thread as a reminder to ping you back if I need any MVBs or similar confirmed in the V1 label file.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Maybe the pre-tension controllers is a NAR thing - the only SSP I found was Audi of America flavoured and it referred to them as standard items, but this UK wagon is MY2013 and J854/855 are definitely a no show. My ETKA suite is too old for this car so I cannot go delving into all the PR codes.

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Send me your vin no and i'll see what i can get for you (PR codes)

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Nice suggestion morski - guess you have access to an official version of something to check all those PR codes. That maybe partially explains why your MTM wagon appears to be the work of some kind of OE retrofit fetishist ;-) Meanwhile, this much more modest wagon has VIN = W-AU-zzz-4G-9-D-N-002-232

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Nice suggestion morski - guess you have access to an official version of something to check all those PR codes. That maybe partially explains why your MTM wagon appears to be the work of some kind of OE retrofit fetishist ;-) Meanwhile, this much more modest wagon has VIN = W-AU-zzz-4G-9-D-N-002-232

Yes i have some access to the official system. PM me your email address so ic an send screen shots of your cars details over.

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
The correct fusebox pins arrived today so while I was there fitting the 12V connection for the AHLS module, I decided to wire up a traditional SPST relay circuit to drive the old fog-lights when the 'all weather / corner lights' inside the bi-xenon lamps are active. This is pretty simple except for reasonably tight access to the right pins for splicing etc.

Reason for doing it this way was a few things:
1 - don't want to fail MOT for having some forward facing lamps that don't work
2 - don't want to spend over 100 bucks for OE blank plates to delete the old fogs
3 - never foresee retrofitting ACC onto this wagon, so won't be needing forward facing radar units in place of the old fogs

Anyway - for the record its a very simple circuit, described below:

Relay #30 - 12V supply, protected by 10A fuse on SB10 @ ST2 (this wagon does not have a sunroof - useless leaky things they can be)
Relay #86 - activation signal from pin 8 of red (or brown) plug at the BCM (J519) - this is 12V when all-weather lights active with bi-xenon coding
Relay #85 - 0V chassis connection at bottom of A-pillar
Relay #87 - relay output to both old fog-lights (L22 & L23) - the wires for which were removed from the red and brown BCM plugs as part of the loom conversion

I found a location just above the pedals where the new relay doesn't look too out of place - I didn't have time to source the correct OE relay carrier which will outrage the purists but I think I will sleep at night.

Obviously easy to test and not one line of software or VCDS interaction required - activate front fog lights with the normal switch and enjoy the extra illuminations from the old school relay - then get depressed at the colour difference compared to the shiny new xenons, but hey its something extra.

Back