Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2013 A6 Allroad 4G C7 - xenon retrofit

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So - here was an unexpected wrinkle with hooking up the old fog lights - the coding I currently have has the all-weather/corner lamp activation enabled when going round bends which causes the relay to go a bit buzzy and mad as the voltage ramps up & down analog style for a nice subtle transition on the lamp. I was driving in twilight when the buzzing started so it took me a couple of 'bad relay' swap outs before I figured it out.

So now I need to seek out the coding bit in the BCM to disable the corner function - I just want the fogs to be on when I push a button - I don't need a gazillion lines of software in the BCM doing this so called intelligent lighting function. An alternative solution might be to not use the relay for the 2nd lights but I was worried about pulling too much current out of the BCM. So I played safe and got buzzed, but better that than a frazzled BCM ;-)

Meantime the buzzy relay is on the bench so as not to raise my blood pressure any higher. I think its time for a beer to thin my blood.

2. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found the bit - BCM (Address 09) - Byte 04 - CLEAR bit3. This byte was set to 88 and the turny wheel corner light is active.
    I changed to 80 and the weather light is only active when front fog button is on. Result !

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the new pins for the CAN gateway arrived and I tried the new gateway - sure enough CP kicked in, but I could make contact with the AHLS controller at address 55 and need to get CP removed on that as well as correct coding - its partially in german so I need to study it properly after CP is removed.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some pics taken along the way which may be helpful for others - focussed on the electrical aspects - not so much the joy of inner wing and bumper removal:

Running the cable from the inner wing through the bulkhead grommet at the driver side A-pillar

View from inside the inner wing:

With bare terminals protected by a wee zip-lock band and wrapped with tape to the pull cable, this is how I fed the headlamp motor wires from cabin side into the inner wing - all the bulkier plugs stay inside:

View of red and brown plugs in the BCM (J519) that need to be tinkered with for the bi-xenon conversion.

When you have the engine side loom broadly in place, you can see some convenient slots to carry the new cable - I reinforced the loom at those points for a bit of endurance.

The new loom sections run nicely along the front cross-member and pick existing cable for air temp sensor.

Finally a xenon lamp photo:

I also re-inforced the cable entry at the A-pillar before I buttoned everything done after some tests:

There is plenty long enough cable on the Kufatec loom in my experience - ties up recently well behind driver side headlamp.

Pic of the CAN gateway plug without the necessary EXTENDED bus for the AHLS controller:

Must say the OE wiring could look tidier, but I think those little scraps of tape just identify which bus is which - they aren't insulating any joints.

Rear view of black fuse carrier (ST1) at SB where I added the new switched 12V feed for the AHLS controller.
    Last edited by nugentp; 05-19-2019 at 04:37 PM.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last handful of pics...

The fuse pin supplied on the loom is too big for the mini fuse pins so I chopped it and crimped on the right one.

I later revisited the white/black wire on the red plug after the conversion to get the trigger signal for the old-school relay circuit driving the original low level fogs.

I chose a suitable location on ST2 for the old fog light fuse:

Fuse blocks all wrapped up in fabric tape so about done in this corner:

I found somewhere suitable to attach the AHLS module - figuring the OE location is on passenger side but I ain't going there. I found a better location for that fog relay after this pic - clipped onto bottom of that relay carrier:

8. Likes Uwe, Dana liked this post