A better understanding than an obd scanner.

Daktana

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m having a few problems with my car, an Amarok my11. IÂ’m not looking for help or anything with the problems, just some honest help before I go splashing the cash.

So I’m using a WiFi elm327 and EOBD-FACILE app, this gives me access to the fault codes, for arguments sake P0013-11, now I can go on the interweb and search for it and it tells me what the P0013 is for, but not the -11.

The question, will vcds and the cable give a more in depth diagnosis, or will it also just tell me the camshaft actuator on circuit one is open. I get that I will be able to do other stuff with it, but at the moment I need the car to be running and reliable before that crosses my mind. I can purchase the cable or take it to a dealership, not both. Some help or advice pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
For that particular fault code, VCDS may not tell you much more than a generic OBD scanner.

However, there are often fault codes (even in the engine) that VAG decided are not relevant to emissions and simply won't tell a generic tool about, and then of course there are all the other systems in the vehicle that you can access with VCDS that a generic OBD scanner can't even touch.

-Uwe-

Back