VW Caddy - testing engine without subframe

PeterAFox

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=344128
Hi,
It would be wonderful if someone could give me any tips/advice.
I've reconditioned my turbo loader and starting to rebuild and realized that if I could test the engine before I put the subframe back on and reconnect the steering column, this could save me a *lot* of work if I hadn't reassemble it quite right. Can I do this and then just reset any fault codes that come up?
I mean start the engine with turbo loader, manifolds, catalytic converter etc. connected but not the subframe, drive shaft and steering column etc? (the gearbox etc are still in place)
Thanks!
pete

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moved to General VW/Audi Repair.

-Uwe-

Henrick

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
What exactly are you trying to "test"?
Have you followed the turbocharger installation guideline (should have been provided by your turbo supplier) and completed each and every step called there?
If you did something wrong, your turbo will fail in seconds after startup, no matter if subframe is in or out (the point is, that you won't be able to do anything to it).
When in doubt about your technical skills, I always offer to drop your car at the nearest (or trusted) workshop and ask to do the wrenching.

PeterAFox

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=344128
Hi Uwe,
I'm a bit puzzled why this was moved - of course the whole repair began with the VCDS.
Hi Henrick,
Thanks for your post - Maybe I didn't explain it so well:
The turbo loader is very clean and spot on (now) - that's not really what I want to test, although I've learnt that testing first is almost always good. I don't doubt my technical skills (much) but I know from experience that it's good practice to test as you go / or to test components before assembly if possible. With this model the catalytic converter, turbo loader, exhaust manifold etc. is only accessible if the subframe is removed, which in turn involves removing the steering column and at least half the rack. While I got so far, I cleaned up a number of things - egr and anything else that was clogged up and will replace the cat with a new one (seemed to be not functioning correctly - I suspect the previous owner 'cleaned' it out with something).
It just seemed to make sense before reinstalling the subframe / steering etc., to run the engine a bit just to check if the engine and exhaust bits were ok, because if something is not right then I will need to take the subframe out again which is a real pain.
I would have thought a number of fault codes come up, at least for the steering, and wondered if anyone else had done this and might share their experience.
Maybe I am mistaken, but that's what I thought forums were about ;-)
pete

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I'm a bit puzzled why this was moved - of course the whole repair began with the VCDS.
... because the questions you have asked are primarily about mechanical issues and not about specific fault codes seen?

Reactions: Uwe

PeterAFox

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=344128
I wouldn't say I posted about mechanical issues, but anyway I haven't needed to post about specific fault codes because so far I 've been able to find the answers I needed in previous posts. The VCDS is advertised with support (and this is a key selling point) and is clearly (also) targeted to non-professionals. If the 'professionals' just give the others a hard time when they post, then I think ross-tech should make it more obvious that non-professionals get a different level of support (even though they pay the same price). Nevertheless, thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Errors relating to EGR etc may not come up until the car is driven. Starting in the air may not trigger anything.

Also, the lower engine mount is part of the subframe. I'd at least put a couple of bolts in, with the dogbone in place.

You'll get electric rack faults etc, but they should all be clearable after the faults are corrected.

It's pretty hard to give a definitive answer without being there and seeing it real time though.

PeterAFox

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=344128
"the lower engine mount is part of the subframe. I'd at least put a couple of bolts in, with the dogbone in place."
Thanks! That's *extremely* helpful!!!
pete

Back