Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Golf MK7 TDI Sportwagen heated seats retrofit...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 2015 Golf MK7 TDI Sportwagen heated seats retrofit...

I finally have all of the parts necessary for this retrofit.
    1. Factory heated seats from a totaled out car.
    2. Wiring from kufatec.de
    3. Heater control panel with heated seats buttons.
    4. Highline BCM purchased from VW dealership.

My questions are as follows...
    1. Do I need to do any vag com coding first before the dealership installs the BCM?
    2. At what point during the BCM install do they need to "burn" the VIN to the BCM?

I don't see any walk throughs anywhere detailing a BCM swap to highline.
    Last edited by MK7; 01-02-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    first of all install WinMerge on your computer, then take a FULL backup of the car with VCDS, you never know. autoscan + admaps of ALL modules;

Climatronic panel swap:
    1) replace Climatronic panel, you can do this on the fly no need to disconnect battery (but switch engine/ignition off...);
    2) set old Climatronic panel Long Coding to the new one;
    3) dump admap of the new Climatronic panel and use WinMerge to compare it with the old one. change all adaptations as necessary;
    4) check if you have any errors left, you might need to run Basic Settings.

I am not gonna give you instructions for the BCM since the dealer will take care of it, and their scan tool is different from VCDS. just remember to bring ALL your keys with you because the new BCM will need to learn every keyfob.

running the Kufatec loom is a big PITA, I found it to be shorter than needed so I had to literally strip down the car to the chassis. I mean remove seats, center console/tunnel/armrest and the whole carpet.

good luck.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am assuming I have to do a dump of my current BCM now and then upload it to the new BCM when I put it in? I am also assuming I need to either do this in the dealership parking lot or have my car towed there because the keys won't work after I put the new BCM in?
    Last edited by MK7; 01-05-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    when I said I won't give you instructions for the BCM, it was because I assumed you bought the BCM AND the swap labour from the dealer. isn't that the case?
    their scan tool (named ODIS) has a Guided Function to replace a control module. it will take care of all coding + admap so you don't have to do it manually. provided that you bought the specific BCM part number that ETKA (spare parts catalogue software) says.

tell me if you need steps to replace the BCM yourself.

side note: the key(s) would work, to start the engine, because the immobilizer is not in the BCM. what you lose is the keyfob(s) locking and unlocking the doors/trunk.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    when I said I won't give you instructions for the BCM, it was because I assumed you bought the BCM AND the swap labour from the dealer. isn't that the case?
    their scan tool (named ODIS) has a Guided Function to replace a control module. it will take care of all coding + admap so you don't have to do it manually. provided that you bought the specific BCM part number that ETKA (spare parts catalogue software) says.
    Never heard of ETKA till now. I ordered the BCM (5Q0 937 087 S) based on the same make model year of my car but high(er)(est) trim level car. Thinking that meant "highline" model BCM that I have heard everyone say.

tell me if you need steps to replace the BCM yourself.
    Yes, please! I tried to have the dealership install the BCM and they could not do it, even after calling VW technical because there were "dash lights and keys would not fully function". VW technical told them this "mod" could not be done.

side note: the key(s) would work, to start the engine, because the immobilizer is not in the BCM. what you lose is the keyfob(s) locking and unlocking the doors/trunk.
    Good to know!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    you don't buy a control module based on MY only, unfortunately. trust me, I learned it the hard way. that's why I have an extra BCM on a shelf, it was not fully compatible with my car. the dealer-level ETKA will evaluate the VIN and tell you THE part number you need, and when we talk about control modules that have different trim levels, it will always suggest the highest.

I have a, well, semi-official version of ETKA, which is offline, so I cannot input the VIN, but I usually nail it with the model year and by cross-referencing PR codes. if you tell me your VIN number, and the BCM you have now from the factory, I can tell you if you got the correct one. feel free to mask the last five digits if you want, I don't need those. actually, just post an autoscan so we see how the car is configured.

if you bought a brand new spare module from the dealer, it will come as VIRGIN. it means it does not contain some parameters that are indeed needed for correct functionality. ODIS will load everything while performing the Guided Function of replacing the module.
    now the bad news. you CANNOT perform this so-called PARAMETERIZATION function with VCDS, it simply doesn't do it. besides ODIS, there is another tool to do that. that's why it is generally better, and cheaper, to buy a used control module around.

dealers are usually not skilled for retrofit because the VAG group strongly discourages them, they just want you to get everything when you buy the car. dealers tell you they cannot do it because they probably never did it before, but it's total bullshit, as the Guided Function in ODIS is not really complicated, usually just a matter of following the on-screen instructions and press NEXT a bunch of times.

so let's understand first if you got the right module part number. then you will need the dealer anyway, or anybody with ODIS ONLINE who knows what he's doing.

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh, and I totally forgot about COMPONENT PROTECTION. this is gonna blow your mind.

some modules in the car have this CP thing, which was created to control theft and the black market. basically you replace such module, the car network detects that you did, and CP kicks in. the module will enter a SAFE condition: it will still allow the car to be driven but some features will be disabled. talking about the BCM, it could be something like internal lights won't work, maybe wipers won't work. things like that.

depending on the module, the module replacement can cause CP to kick in for other modules as well. when I replaced the BCM in my car, CP was triggered for the BCM only. when I replaced the Gateway, it triggered CP in the Gateway itself, the BCM, the instruments cluster and the radio. so the car acted really funny.

the ONLY way to disable CP is to use ODIS with the online connection to Germany VAG servers. basically it matches the module to your VIN and unlocks it.

long story short, you will need ODIS anyway.

yes, it's THAT crazy.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    when I replaced the BCM in my car, CP was triggered for the BCM only. when I replaced the Gateway, it triggered CP in the Gateway itself, the BCM, the instruments cluster and the radio. so the car acted really funny.
    That's because the Gateway is the CP "master" in your car.

the ONLY way to disable CP is to use ODIS with the online connection to Germany VAG servers. basically it matches the module to your VIN and unlocks it.
    I'm going to be pedantic here: That doesn't really "disable" it, it just re-matches the components. If it were "disabled", then you would have no further troubles with it when doing future component swaps.

long story short, you will need ODIS anyway.
    This is not just a matter of having ODIS, but also having the proper credentials to access to the mothership's servers. If a stand-alone ODIS could "fix" component protection, then most likely VCDS could too.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe
    I'm going to be pedantic here: That doesn't really "disable" it, it just re-matches the components. If it were "disabled", then you would have no further troubles with it when doing future component swaps.
    of course. I am trying to keep things simple for the OP who is for sure a newbie about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe
    This is not just a matter of having ODIS, but also having the proper credentials to access to the mothership's servers. If a stand-alone ODIS could "fix" component protection, then most likely VCDS could too.
    why did I see this last part of your post only after clicking on "reply with quote"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    why did I see this last part of your post only after clicking on "reply with quote"?
    Probably because I added it as an afterthought. I posted first part, then thought about what I had posted for a moment, and clicked Edit Post and added it. Then if you read my reply before I clicked Save, and clicked Reply With Quote after I clicked Save, that's exactly what would happen.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

14. Likes darkchina811 liked this post