Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7L6 Touareg disable engine power retardation and RNS510 media system starting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimike View Post
    Yes. Impressive build quality in the RNS510, love the precision in the metalwork. I think anything will be faster than the 30GB 4200 Hitachi that’s currenty in it.
    SSD should be quite vibration resilient, China has a few IDE SSD options. Will probably need IDE to SATA converter as well to format in FAT32 and clone.
    Can You fit a adapter in there? I know people used SSD-s there with old PATA connector. No need for anything more then 40GB. Or do You store music on RNS-HDD? I found that rather annoying how slow copying was.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.amazon.com/44pin-Convert...KyL&ref=plSrch

that's what you need. then scroll down the page and check out the stupid cheap 128GB M.2 SSD.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice option. I was previously just considering this method. Only need the converter for formatting and cloning via SATA on my computer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JNTSYH..._PGTlCbN0VVEAT

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RVN97A..._2JTlCbC5VMHBR

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    the first link shows the opposite of what you need. that is to use an old IDE hard drive on a SATA host. you want to use a SATA drive on a IDE host (RNS510).

the second is a boxed solution of the same thing I linked, except that you will get 32 GB instead of 128 GB for the same money. your choice

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    darkchina811 can you please tell me how you got the M.2 to IDE converter case to work in your RNS510? I’ve bought two of them on your recommendation.

In the RNS510, the IDE hard drive has a master/slave pairing with the DVD drive, if I install an old IDE hard drive, even a completely failed one, the DVD drive works. With the converter cases installed, the DVD drive isn’t detected by the RNS510’s operating system at all.
    The issue will be how the jumper pins are wired within the converter, as these pins are an integral part of the RNS510’s connection.

Both converter cases do work with a computer, independent of the four jumper pins. I’ve tested them both via the IDE-SATA converter I’d also bought for cloning the drives.
    Thanks

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ehm... I don't have a RNS510, never seen one for real. honestly I just assumed it would work, sorry if I mislead you, it was not intentional.

so you are saying that it does not work even if you put the jumper the way it should be? that's odd.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, I have solved the issue.

All 44 IDE pins including the jumper pins plug directly into the main logic board of the RNS510, so any jumpers on the drive need to be removed first. I’m presuming from all the faults I was getting, the Hard Drive IDE controller runs both the hard drive and the DVD drive. My guess is the DVD is the slave?
    I bought a secondhand 60GB platter drive tonight from a shop for 30 dhms/£6, formatted it FAT32 Masterboot and just used a 5238 Firmware CD to reinstall the partitions. It’s sitting on the battery charger now with music installing via SD, I will load maps back on tomorrow, the dealer here has a DVD I can borrow.

I will think of some project that I can use two 128GB M.2 cards for. They could make for quite quick USB external drives.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad you sorted it out. the hard drive is master and the DVD drive slave indeed, I can bet even without knowing the unit.

the 60 GB drive works fine if you're happy with it, I just believe going to solid state would be better in a moving car.

the M.2 drives will be amazing USB sticks

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, SSD would be more reliable than platter, but for the price and availability here, and for a known IDE controller, I’m not complaining.
    A car is a suspended box and is designed for our squidgy mush, so the vibration will be there, but the shock loads will be far lower G than those received in a laptop being knocked around, well, depending on ones driving manners. I predict thermal stress will be the biggest issue in a car, the bearing was the failure point in mine.
    The last platter lived for 10 years, maybe this new platter will live another 10? We’ll see.