Thread: Rodents: They don't just chew wires anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rodents: They don't just chew wires anymore

So Mike's 2006 A3 (my former fun car) has had a fuel stink about it for quite some time. It started when he spilled some fuel from a gas can (intended for the lawn & garden equipment) in the car at one point, but it never went away. Recently Eric noticed a damp spot under the car that also smelled like gasoline, and some investigation revealed:

That's the inlet side of the fuel filter. I'm not sure which line is the supply and which is the return to the tank, but you can see some critter had ganwed a small hole into the one elbow...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts, jyoung8607 liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blue is return and black is feed typically...............& yes seen that FOD before!

Additionally I have the crimp ins for quick connectors so you dont have to break your balls with that!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's already done. New lines and new filter. George disconnected the old lines from the top of the tank via the access plate beneath rear seat. Pulled them out from below, using them to pull some wires in their place, then used the wires to pull new lines back up. This scheme avoids having to drop the tank.

The pic in post #1 was the parts that were replaced, sitting on my desk.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    They must be going for the fuel (oil)