Volkswagen Infotainment Web Interface (ViWi/RSI)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Here is a thing.

I don't know exactly what this set of APIs and libraries is supposed to be for, but it's authored and submitted by a Volkswagen AG employee who (at the time) was in charge of Volkswagen and Audi in-car infotainment systems for several years. It's real enough that they took it to the W3C. It does interesting things.

I can't quite figure out if/how/where/when this applies in the real world. The guy's LinkedIn profile has a photo of a smartphone talking to a VW radio in some form "go[ing] into production." It looks like a Beetle, but I don't recognize the climate control and infotainment setup. This could be an attempt at implementing Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) which is referenced all over the place, not sure if that became reality. Maybe this all references a concept or skunkworks project that got thrown away.

It would be neat if this effectively documents the protocol spoken between VAG's current infotainment units and the crappy broken mobile app. I know the infotainment unit provides HTTP-style answers on some random high TCP port, and it would be very interesting to work on a less crappy and broken version...

Anybody else seen this before? If nobody knows what this is, I may try to contact the guy and see what it's about.

More interesting linked bits:

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Replying to self...

volkswagen-viwi-5f-coding.jpg

I really didn't need ANOTHER side project, but...

yepyepyep.jpg

Gonna have to look into this. Except now it's gonna piss me off that my Atlas has working (albeit mostly useless) WiFi hardware and my Golf R doesn't, even though they have the exact same infotainment package.

Back