Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: F5 Audi A5 Park Assist Retrofit

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kdagher View Post
    Please check my post, pictures are displayed..

Anyways, we have drifted from my initial concern.

Would anybody know, if the sensor orientation matter for detecting objects?
    I don't think it matters. I did park assist retrofit to 2007 Golf Plus which never had even front parking sensors from factory. There were no guidance on which orientation the sensors need to be. There were no issues during those few years we had the car.

Official workshop guide has orientation in the installation guide for the front and rear parking sensors but I think that is mainly due to how the wiring harness is built.

Are the side sensors for the park assist in Audi flush to the bumpers or is there some kind of a sensor bracket with collar there? Could you take a picture of those from your car how they are installed?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    I don't think it matters. I did park assist retrofit to 2007 Golf Plus which never had even front parking sensors from factory. There were no guidance on which orientation the sensors need to be. There were no issues during those few years we had the car.

Official workshop guide has orientation in the installation guide for the front and rear parking sensors but I think that is mainly due to how the wiring harness is built.

Are the side sensors for the park assist in Audi flush to the bumpers or is there some kind of a sensor bracket with collar there? Could you take a picture of those from your car how they are installed?
    Yes of course, please find below the pictures of the install along with the explanations..

Front PLA sensor (color doesnt match, will repaint them next week)

Front PLA Bracket position

rear PLA install

Rear Bracket direction install

Left side is going crazy, and there is nothing on my left

Side walk detected.. i dont think its too close, please check the following pic when its parked

Parked

this only happens outside on the street, whereas it rarely rarely happens indoor parking.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is that your side sensors have incorrect holder. Usually the PLA sensor holders are angled so that the sensor is pointing to the side. Now without angled holder your sensors are pointing a bit downwards and that most likely causes the ghost alerts and the sidewall detection etc.

If you look here :
    https://www.carsystems.eu/audi-a5-f5...bf,id3717.html

Those holders should be the proper ones, they are angled so that the sensor is having a proper angle when installed.

And if you look at this car, it has different holders for PLA side sensors than what you have :
    https://www.alto.com.au/stock/detail...8/2019-audi-a5

Here's another one with good closeup on the front PLA sensor :
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...RM-AD-6047410/

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes of course, please find below the pictures of the install along with the explanations..

Front PLA sensor (color doesnt match, will repaint them next week)

Front PLA Bracket position

rear PLA install

Rear Bracket direction install

Left side is going crazy, and there is nothing on my left

Side walk detected.. i dont think its too close, please check the following pic when its parked

Parked

this only happens outside on the street, whereas it rarely rarely happens indoor parking.
    @downtime is correct, the holders for the OEM PLA are angled as per his link. However I couldnt get those at the time and have the same holders as you. My solution was to set the OPS option in VCDS to only use the original sensors. It's a long coding option but I can't remember where. It's not hard to find though. Think it's either central convenience or instruments. You must have seen it already for the new sensors to be working with your OPS. My PLA works perfectly though.

EDIT - Sorry I didn't read your post properly.

MY PLA works fine outside and inside. All of my sensors are mounted the same way using the same brackets as you. However OPS using the new sensors was way too sensitive, picking up ghosts on the side sensors so I coded the OPS back to 8 sensors instead of 12. Have you considered the paintjob in the new sensors? The thickness of the paint can have a bearing on they perform. Are they OEM sensors or third party?
    Last edited by Silk; 06-30-2020 at 07:20 AM.

5. Likes kdagher liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you @downtime and @Silk, the coding is Byte 38 Bit 0=1, Bit 1=0
    I will try to order these brackets from the carsystems.

@Silk How about the Parking Assist, is it working perfectly with these holders.. Mine sometimes quits on me in the middle of the auto parking, maybe because the OPS is activated at 360 ?
    Last edited by kdagher; 06-30-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    @downtime is correct, the holders for the OEM PLA are angled as per his link. However I couldnt get those at the time and have the same holders as you. My solution was to set the OPS option in VCDS to only use the original sensors. It's a long coding option but I can't remember where. It's not hard to find though. Think it's either central convenience or instruments. You must have seen it already for the new sensors to be working with your OPS. My PLA works perfectly though.

EDIT - Sorry I didn't read your post properly.

MY PLA works fine outside and inside. All of my sensors are mounted the same way using the same brackets as you. However OPS using the new sensors was way too sensitive, picking up ghosts on the side sensors so I coded the OPS back to 8 sensors instead of 12. Have you considered the paintjob in the new sensors? The thickness of the paint can have a bearing on they perform. Are they OEM sensors or third party?
    The sensors seem to be Original/OEM the front PLA sensors are Brown, Made In Germany EDIT 5Q0 919 297B,
    the rear sensors are from Valeo China 34D 919 275 A (equivalent to 5Q0 919 275 B according to ETKA and my research). They already came factory painted from what i understood by the seller.
    Last edited by kdagher; 06-30-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    the rear sensors are from Valeo China 34D 919 275 A (equivalent to 5Q0 919 275 B according to ETKA and my research). They already came factory painted from what i understood by the seller.
    I've had really bad experiences with Chinese PLA sensors. In our Leon the Chinese sensors didn't work at all. They constantly gave an error and dropped out from the system.
    Those could be your issue as well.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had really bad experiences with Chinese PLA sensors. In our Leon the Chinese sensors didn't work at all. They constantly gave an error and dropped out from the system.
    Those could be your issue as well.
    Were they original sensors or third party Chinese?
    The front one are originals made in Germany 5Q0 919 297B, the rear ones are originals as well but made in China Valeo...But it explains a lot now, i just to find the correct brackets for PLA to get rid of the ghost detection using OPS 360 (confirmed happening with @Silk) .

I have emailed carsystems.eu to see if they can sell the brackets separately (hopefully)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the rears were original sensors but for China market.

Maybe use sensor holders from another car model? If you find with similar angle?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the rears were original sensors but for China market.

Maybe use sensor holders from another car model? If you find with similar angle?
    I tried to look for some similar, the closest were the ones of a Golf 7.. it doesnt seem carsystems.eu want to sell them separately, and they dont have them on aliexpress.. I guess ill just disable the OPS 360.

On another note, if OPS 360 picks up Ghosts, it would affect the efficiency of the Park Assist either way, since it uses the same sensors to achieve the parking..do you agree ?

And maybe this is why Park Assist quits on me on the street. it's just hypothesis, but it makes sense.
    Untill i find the PLA bracket for the A5 , park Assist won't work 100% as per expectations , unless it works differently