F5 Audi A5 Park Assist Retrofit

ahorvath

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356585
Did you use brackets for the other sensors? The 4 PLA sensors are definitely larger and also point the sensors at a certain angle.

https://goo.gl/images/3vKWsK

The sensors are the same size. On the picture the outside ring is the bracket not the sensor.

wuplur

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247333

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Use a step drill bit

Ciamardo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105004
I've solved it. To help anyone else doing this retrofit the complete coding is as follows:

09 - Central Electrics
▪ Byte 16, bit 1 from 0 to 1
▪ Byte 28, bit 6 from 0 to 1
▪ Byte 35, bit 7 from 0 to 1
▪ Byte 37, bit 5 from 0 to 1
▪ Byte 37, bit 6 from 1 to 0
▪ Byte 37, bit 7 from 0 to 1
▪ Byte 38, bit 0 from 0 to 1
▪ Byte 38, bit 1 from 1 to 0

44 - Steering Assist
▪ Byte 01, bit 3 from 0 to 1 (this was the part that I missed)
▪ Byte 01, bit 7 from 0 to 1

17 - Instruments
▪ Byte 05, bit 4 from 0 to 1

I also changed an adaptation value in 19 - CAN Gateway for PLA Installed from NOT CODED to CODED.

The coding for this is a bit confusing as PLA is not the same as Parallel Parking Assist which requires a separate module (10) on cars such as the A3. When this is checked in 44, 17 or 09 , an open circuit error code is logged as the car is looking for module 10. Hope this helps anyone else doing this retrofit on the B9 platform.

Oh and thank you both @downtime and @darkchina811 for taking an interest and giving your input. Appreciate your help.

Hi @Silk, I am trying to retrofit this system to my A4 B9 Avant but I've had the same issues as yours three cars before to find out this useful thread ;) But I've a question: did you enter a SA code on module 44 to codify? If yes, which? I am pretty sure it requires a SA... thank you in advance!

Silk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303199
Hi @Silk, I am trying to retrofit this system to my A4 B9 Avant but I've had the same issues as yours three cars before to find out this useful thread ;) But I've a question: did you enter a SA code on module 44 to codify? If yes, which? I am pretty sure it requires a SA... thank you in advance!

Hi Ciamardo. The SA code for module 44 is 19249

:thumbs:

Ciamardo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105004
Hi Ciamardo. The SA code for module 44 is 19249

:thumbs:

Thanks! Anyway at the moment I have only OBD11 with me and it refuses the SA, don't ask me why :confused:Do you also have ACC on your cars? If yes there's a parameter I would like to check togheter with you...

Silk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303199
Thanks! Anyway at the moment I have only OBD11 with me and it refuses the SA, don't ask me why :confused:Do you also have ACC on your cars? If yes there's a parameter I would like to check togheter with you...

I couldnt get the SA to work with OBD11 either but it worked with VCDS. Don't have ACC sorry.

Ciamardo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105004
Ok man, many thanks for your help, hope your coding will work on my A4!!

Silk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303199

kdagher

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394978
Hello!

Thank you for the write up and details of retrofitting the PLA.
I just finished retrofitting the 4 sensors and did the coding (Big thanks!).

Sensors holes were perfectly drilled in the "X' of the front & rear bumper, and are perfectly centered/aligned as per the original positions

However, I am running with a couple of concerns/issues:

1- the shop have mistakenly installed the front bracket upwards, which means the PLA sensor plug is pointing towards up rather than from the inner side of the bumper..
Does the orientation of the sensor bracket make a difference for the object detection ? The shop said it's ultrasonic, and the orientation of the bracket isnt doesnt play a role in object detection. anyone can confirm ?

2- Most of the time the Park Assist works like a charm in indoor parkings, but when i attempt to use park assist for parallel park on the street, it always ends halfway because it is detecting objects that dont exists from the side where there is no sidewalk! I am convinced it is the paint markings on the street. Does it happen with anyone who retrofitted Park assist ?

thank you for your help!

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Hello!

Thank you for the write up and details of retrofitting the PLA.
I just finished retrofitting the 4 sensors and did the coding (Big thanks!).

Sensors holes were perfectly drilled in the "X' of the front & rear bumper, and are perfectly centered/aligned as per the original positions

However, I am running with a couple of concerns/issues:

1- the shop have mistakenly installed the front bracket upwards, which means the PLA sensor plug is pointing towards up rather than from the inner side of the bumper..
Does the orientation of the sensor bracket make a difference for the object detection ? The shop said it's ultrasonic, and the orientation of the bracket isnt doesnt play a role in object detection. anyone can confirm ?

2- Most of the time the Park Assist works like a charm in indoor parkings, but when i attempt to use park assist for parallel park on the street, it always ends halfway because it is detecting objects that dont exists from the side where there is no sidewalk! I am convinced it is the paint markings on the street. Does it happen with anyone who retrofitted Park assist ?

thank you for your help!
I’ve retrofitted sensors many times and never installed brackets the wrong way. They are directional are the sensors on the edges of the bumper are different to the others. Whether or not it makes a difference being the wrong way I’m not sure, but there’s only 1 way to find out. Ask the garage to remove them and put the brackets the other way.

kdagher

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394978
It’s complicated to remove them now unless i am 100% sure it worth the risk, hence my question. Do you know Which direction are the side sensors supposed to be installed for the front and rear? Where is the electrical connector suppose to point at ? What about the bracket, what is the correct direction?

Thanks

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
It’s complicated to remove them now unless i am 100% sure it worth the risk, hence my question. Do you know Which direction are the side sensors supposed to be installed for the front and rear? Where is the electrical connector suppose to point at ? What about the bracket, what is the correct direction?

Thanks
There’s arrows inside of the bumper that tells you the direction of the sensors, you can’t get it wrong. They are easy to remove and if you break them they’re cheap enough to replace.
I’d have to remove a bumper to be sure but from memory the rear ones have the connector on the inside section of the bumper and face inwards facing about 4 o’clock. The fronts I can’t recall. I can’t be 100% sure unless I remove a bumper.
The bumper has a square marking that tells you where to place the bracket. Honestly you can’t get it wrong.

I use VAS6615 bracket holders and then hot staple them in. Perfect every time.

kdagher

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394978
I just checked on my front bumper PLA sensors, easy access from the wheel arch.. there is only a circle where i drilled in the middle, no direction For the bracket nor sensor.

I really want to figure out why only parallel parking on the street the side sensors go crazy and park assist ends early..

(Picture taken from instructions uploaded in the original post)

Last edited:

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
They still don’t work

kdagher

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394978
They still don’t work

Please check my post, pictures are displayed..

Anyways, we have drifted from my initial concern.

Would anybody know, if the sensor orientation matter for detecting objects?

Any reasons why the side sensor would detect non existing objects on the opposite side of the sidewalk, where there is usually paint markings on the asphalt? They work perfectly indoor parkings..

Thanks

Back