Golf7 2016 LED headlights retrofit

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
my car was born with halogen headlights. I am looking into retrofitting LED headlights. I want to dilute this project in time, as of now I would like to compile a BOM and realize how much it would be, so I can allocate the budget over a period of time.

being my car a pre-facelift, the only way to get LEDs seems to be e-Golf/GTE headlights. I don't like the blue strip that much but I can live with it.
I have narrowed down the headlights to part numbers 5GE 941 035/6, which can be replaced with 5GE 941 773/4 eventually.

I have, of course, several questions and curiosities:

- I would like to replace the headlights, and the headlights only. can I maintain the manual height adjustment or do I need to install the height sensor like Xenon cars have?
- I have a HIGH BCM, will that be enough?
- LED headlights have 14pins while mine have 10. is it just a matter of rewiring or maybe I need to add extra modules? if so, which ones (like Xenons need module 55, I believe)?
- can I maintain my stock halogen fog lights, maybe replace the bulb with a decent quality LED, provided that it gives no errors on the dash?
- I believe there is some coding/adapt involved. do we have info about this?

thank you :)

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
You need new facelift bcm and at least 4B headlight module for the lights. New wiring of course and either adapter for the headlights or replace the connector.
With the same effort you'll install the height sensor as well so you'll end up with fully legal lights :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
my car is 2016 (MY2017), so pre-facelift. in 2016 the e-Golf already had those LED headlights, and she also had the very same BCM I have now, 5Q0 937 084 CL.
why do you say I need to upgrade?

wiring and replacing the connector to 14pin would not be a problem.

I will check wiring diagrams to understand if the height sensor is default with e-Golf.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Yep you're right. I'm mixing those lights with facelift one.

Looks like the basic LED headlights what the GTE and e-golf have, don't need separate light module like the facelifted lights do. So headlight control module : 5Q0907357 should do.

BUT, you need to remember that there's no DRL lights in the headlights for e-golf and GTE as the DRL's are separate lights strips on the bumper. Second thing is that at least for the e-golf the only type of LED light is the basic one what you can get for Passat as well and from experience I can say that they are PURE SHIT on light output.
You're better off retrofitting bixenons, they have much better light output than the low end LEDs that are available for the pre-facelift.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
those are exactly the headlights I am talking about. I wish there was more information around but I am sure it is not a popular retrofit.

OSRAM is also supposed to release the LEDriving XENARC for Golf 7 in january, which is a straight plug&play for halogen cars. maybe I should save the effort and go this those.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Last edited:

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
i believe that golf e drl lights have 3 pins, switched 12v, pwm and ground, so if you splice in these 2 wires and connect them to your headlights you might be able to run 2x DRL lights, done this on MK6 R, fitted GTI headlights no issues.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I checked the wiring diagrams and it's pretty straight forward. yes, a J745 control unit would be required. I can also confirm that the "LED module for DRL and side light" is separated from the headlight. this kills the project right now because I am not replacing the bumper.

guess I will wait for OSRAM to release and will consider that retrofit for next summer.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
m87a said:
I believe that golf e drl lights have 3 pins, switched 12v, pwm and ground, so if you splice in these 2 wires and connect them to your headlights you might be able to run 2x DRL lights, done this on MK6 R, fitted GTI headlights no issues.

this is not completely clear.

the "DRL and side light module" has indeed 3 wires, of which one is ground. the other two come from the BCM: 1) DRL bulb 2) fog light bulb and static cornering light.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
But the issue is that the headlights probably do not have drl led at all so it is not possible to run drl lights there as they’re non-existent.
Passat GTE full leds have faint glow around the actual light units but they light up at the same time as the headlights fire. So I don’t think there’s actual units that could be used as drls.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I completed the retrofit, I ended up using low beams as DRLs as well.

Back