Thread: Golf 7 Start&Stop kill loom

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Golf 7 Start&Stop kill loom

I am sure everybody is aware of that small interface to "auto-press" the S&S button everytime the ignition is turned on.

I did not want to cut into the loom so I bought a male and female connector and made an "inline" loom with the interface.

should anybody care, the two connectors are 6R0 972 930 and 1K0 971 992. crimp pins are 000 979 009 E and 000 979 012 E.

below is a picture. works perfectly and the stupid S&S has ceased to bug me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq0m5twkhzku12k/SSloom.jpg

2. Likes jyoung8607, PetrolDave, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    I did not want to cut into the loom so I bought a male and female connector and made an "inline" loom with the interface.
    You should start making and selling them - I'd buy one from you...

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why you just don’t increase the voltage level requirement so high with VCDS that the S&S will never engage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Why you just don’t increase the voltage level requirement so high with VCDS that the S&S will never engage?
    That kills it entirely, which is fine, if that's what a person wants.

But I would suppose that little board reverses the function of the factory button; i.e. it defaults to S/S being off, but a press of the button will turn it on. That's somewhat more elegant, particularly if there are times when S/S is actually desired.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes jyoung8607, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave
    You should start making and selling them - I'd buy one from you...
    I thought about it, but the Golf needs the ESP OFF button in order for the loom to be truly plug and play. if the button is not there, I should leave a wire with extra length out of the loom and the user would have to tap switched +12V.

by the way, it could be custom made for any MQB car, I should just need to look into connectors which are probably different.

Quote Originally Posted by downtime
    because of everything Uwe said, and:

- I don't get the annoying symbol in the dash when S&S cannot engage because of the voltage trick;
    - the interface has a "ghost" mode if you hold the S&S button for 5 seconds. so if you bring in the car for service they won't notice a thing.

9. Likes PetrolDave, downtime, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your work on this. Are you able to share the details of this adapter with us in the form of a schematic, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Similar solutions have been commercially available for quite some time, ideally your circuit recognizes whichever the prior state is and reverts to that once the ignition is switched on. Meaning if it was ON in the previous driving cycle, the circuit should not switch it off in the next cycle either. Vice versa, if it was OFF in the last cycle, it should be switched off in the next one as well.

As a rule of thumb, stay away from any diagnostic related changes (voltages, temperatures etc.) as these seem to be registered by VAG's servers when crawling your car for warranty related data. In addition, permanent tweaks are technically illegal as the system is fully deactivated. On the other hand, an external solution like this, which keeps the general functionality alive, uses a loop hole and has no effect on the legal status of the car. There have been cases where a permanently deactivates SSA has resulted in the vehicle registration being voided with a follow-up tax fraud investigation (here in Germany).
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

12. Likes PetrolDave, darkchina811 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did not invent/build the interface, just google it, it's on the bay. all I did was building the loom. actually yesterday I also pimped it, now it also has two more connectors to power the gear knob illumination and the front storage illumination.

I didn't know about the legal outcomes of S&S tweaking, that's crazy. all I knew is it was a temporary workaround for me, I really hated the "error" it kept logging when using the voltage trick.

14. Likes Uwe, Eric liked this post